Umontana alias and name changes
Legal name changes or spelling corrections in the University's Banner system must be updated through the Registrar's Office for students and Human Resource Services for employees.
- Student name change forms are available at the Registration counter in Griz Central.
- Employees submit requests at Human Resources using the Personal Information form, available on the Human Resource Services website.
All other alias modifications are made through the UMontana Address Change Rqeuest Form, available on the IT website.
Once a name change request form is submitted, the UMontana alias will update in the system within approximately one business day and the former alias will be removed from the system and will no longer work. Student UMConnect account names will automatically update shortly thereafter. Employees with MSO email accounts should contact IT Central for assistance.
We recommend that at least two weeks prior to submitting your request you take the following actions to avoid problems or missed email from email contacts once a name change takes effect:
- Send an email message to your contacts informing them that your email alias is going to change and provide the new address.
- Add a note to your outgoing message signature stating that your email alias is going to change.
- Use the Out-Of-Office option in Outlook to automatically reply to senders letting them know that your email alias is going to change.
Once you submit your form, you can check on the status of your name change by going to UM's online directory and viewing your contact information which includes your UMontana alias. Begin checking one business day after your form has been submitted.Questions about this process may be direct to IT Central, located in Social Science 120, or via phone at 243-HELP (4357).