Configuring Mac Mail
Follow these steps to configure Mac Mail to check your UMConnect email account.
1. Open Mail, and then do one of the following:
- If you've never set up any e-mail accounts using Mail, the "Welcome to Mail" page appears. Go to step 2.
- If you've already created e-mail accounts using Mail, on the Mail pull-down menu, click Preferences. On the "Accounts" tab, click the plus sign (+) at the bottom-left of the navigation pane to open the Add Account window.
2. Welcome to Mail or Add Account:
- Full Name: enter your name as you want it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
- Email Address: enter your UMConnect email address: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu
- Password: Your UMConnect password
- Click Continue.
3. Incoming Mail Server:
- Account Type: select POP or IMAP.
- Description: enter a name for this account (i.e. UMConnect)
- Incoming Mail Server: outlook.office365.com
- User Name: your UMConnect email address: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu
- Password: Your UMConnect password
- Click Continue. Mail will test your connection to the incoming server using default settings. You may receive a note that trying to log into the server failed - that is OK. Click Continue again.
- If the previous step failed, you may see "Incoming Mail Security". Make sure that "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) is checked. Authentication should be set to Password.
4. Outgoing Mail Server:
- Description: enter a name for this server. (i.e. UMConnect SMTP)
- Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.office365.com
- Make sure that "Use only this server" is checked.
- Select "Use Authentication". The User Name and Password should be automatically filled in with the information from the Incoming Mail Server settings. Make sure that the User Name field includes your full e-mail address (NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu). Click Continue.
- Mail will test your connection to the outgoing mail server using default settings. Note: If the test isn't successful, click Continue again. You can verify your settings at the end of this procedure.
- POP: If you're using POP, we recommend that you set up your client to keep a copy of the messages that you retrieve to your local computer on the server. This lets you access your messages from a different mail programs.
- To keep a copy of these messages on the server, do the following:
- Make sure that your UMConnect account is selected under Accounts.
- In the right pane, click Advanced.
- Uncheck "Remove copy from server after retrieving a message", and then close the Accounts window.
- In the Account Summary box click Create.
- If you don't want Mail to keep a copy of your messages on the server, select the "Take account online check box", and then click Create.
- Close the Accounts window.
If Mail Doesn't Connect:
You may need to verify that Mail is set up to send and receive mail using the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL). You can verify that Mail is set up to use SSL as follows:
1. In Mail, go to the Mail pull-down menu and click Preferences.
2. On the "Accounts" tab, select your UMConnect account, and then click "Advanced".
3. On the "Advanced" tab:
- Make sure Use SSL is selected.
- Port should be set automatically. If you chose IMAP, it should be: 993. If you chose POP, it should be: 995.
- Make sure Authentication is set to Password.
- Make sure the Domain Name or IMAP Path Prefix field is empty.
4. On the "Account Information" tab:
- Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), make sure "Use only this server" is checked.
- Under Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP), click the drop-down menu, and then click Edit Server List.
- Port should be set automatically. Outgoing port should be 587.
- On the new window's "Advanced" tab, under Server port, make sure "Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)" is checked.
- Under Authentication, verify that Password is selected, and then click OK.