Configuring Outlook Express
1. Open Outlook Express. If the Internet Connection Wizard doesn't automatically open, do the following:
- On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
- In the Internet Accounts dialog box, click Add, and then click Mail.
2. Your Name page, Display name, enter your name as you want it to appear in the From field. Click Next.
3. Internet E-mail Address page, E-mail address box: enter your UMConnect email address (NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu). Click Next.
4. E-mail Server Names page:
- Select IMAP or POP3 in the drop-down menu under My incoming mail server is a <type> server.
- Incoming mail server: outlook.com
- Outgoing mail (SMTP) server: pod51000.outlook.com
- Click Next.
5. Internet Mail Logon page, Account name box, enter your UMConnect email address: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu.
6. In the Password box, enter your password. If you want Outlook Express to remember your password, select the check box next to Remember password. Click Next.
7. On the Congratulations page, click Finish.
8. On the Internet Accounts page, select the account you just set up for your e-mail account, and then click Properties. General tab: under Mail Account, you may change the name of the connection to UMConnect.
- Servers tab: Server information, verify the following entries: My incoming mail server is a POP3 or IMAP server. Incoming mail (POP3 or IMAP): outlook.com Outgoing mail (SMTP): pod51000.outlook.com. Incoming Mail Server, verify the following entries: Account name: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu. Password: your UMConnect password. Outgoing Mail Server: Click My server requires authentication. Click on the Settings button. On the Outgoing Mail Server box, click Log in using. Account name: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu. Password: your UMConnect password. Click OK.
Advanced tab: Server Port Numbers: Outgoing mail (SMTP) port is: 587. Next, check This server requires a secure connection (SSL). Incoming mail port is: 995. Next, select This server requires a secure connection (SSL). If you're using POP3, it's a good idea to set up your client to keep a copy of the messages you retrieve to your local computer on the server. To do this, under Delivery, click Leave a copy of messages on the server. This lets you access your messages from a different mail program. Click OK. Internet Accounts page, click Close.
9. If you're using IMAP, a message appears that asks you if you want to download folders for the mail server you added. Click Yes. Use the Outlook Express user interface to select which folders to synchronize between the server and your local computer, and then click OK.