Configuring Mozilla Thunderbird
Follow these steps to configure Mozilla Thunderbird to check your UMConnect email (on a PC).
1. Open Mozilla Thunderbird. If the Internet Connection Wizard does automatically open, do the following: On the Tools menu, click Account Settings. On the Account Settings page, click Add Account.
2. In the Account Wizard New Account Setup page, select Email account, and then click Next.
3. On the Identity page, in the Your Name field, enter your name as you want it to appear in the "From" field of your outgoing messages.
4. In the Email Address field, enter your e-mail address: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu.
5. Click Next.
6. On the Server Information page, select IMAP.
7. In the Incoming Server field enter: www.outlook.com
8. Incoming Port enter: 993, then click Next or Continue.
9. If you have set up an account previously in Thunderbird, there will be an additional step after the account is created. If you have not set up an account previously in Thunderbird, in the Outgoing Server field enter: pod51000.outlook.com.
10. On the User Names page, in the Incoming User Name and Outgoing User Name fields, enter your full e-mail address: NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu and click Next.
11. On the Account Name page, enter the name you want to use to refer to this e-mail account (eg. UMConnect), click Next.
12. On the Congratulations page, review your configurations, and then click Finish to exit the wizard.
NOTE: After you complete this step, a reminder may tell you that you need to set up your connection to UMConnect to use SSL or TLS. You'll need to do this before you can use the new account.
1. In the Account Settings window, Click on Outgoing Server (SMTP).
- If you did not add a server is step 7, click Add.
- If you did add a server, select the www.outlook.com server and click Edit.
- Settings dialog box:
- Description: UMConnect SMTP
- Server Name: pod51000.outlook.com
- Port: 587
- Security and Authentication:
- Check Use name and password
- User Name: enter your NetID@UMConnect.umt.edu
- Under Use Secure connection, select STARTTLS. Click OK.
- Settings dialog box:
2. In the Account Settings window, under UMConnect, click on Server Settings. On the Server Settings page, under Security Settings, select SSL/TLS. Click OK.
3. Click Get Mail.
4. In the Mail Server Password Required dialog box, type your UMConnect password. If you want Thunderbird to remember your password, click Use Password Manager to Remember this password. Click OK.