Employee technology at UM
Welcome employees to the University of Montana. During your employment you will have access to technology services that will help you succeed. IT Central provides many of these services as well as technical support. See below for further information.
Employee IT Services & Support
Accounts & Passwords
- The NetID allows faculty and staff to connect to many network resources at the University of Montana. The NetID format is two letters (first initial, last initial) and six numbers (e.g. "ab123456") followed by an "e". You can find your NetID by going to my.umt.edu
- If you forget your NetID password, or your password expires, you can access the password reset tool by correctly answering the security question which you set up during your first log in.
- To allow for a consistent address for publication purposes, the University provides UMontana aliases. The UMontana alias is used as the official means of electronic communication between employees and the University. Important University communications are sent to this alias including UM business-related information and announcements from the president. Visit the website for steps to activate your UMontana alias. Your official email alias looks like:firstname.lastname@example.org
- UM Domain Accounts allow access to campus resources such as shared folders, files, and printers. Some departments manage their own domains. Check with your technical support staff for domain assistance. Your UM domain account looks like this: UM\firstname.lastname
- Banner software manages all University-related financial, employee, and student databases. Account setup information is available on the Banner support website.
Computers & Connections
- UM provides a secure wireless network for students, faculty and staff. Use your NetID for access. Connect to the wireless network using WPA2 Enterprise. Visitors can access wireless through UM's guest wireless access.
- Computer labs with PCs and Macs and a variety of software are available for employee and student use. All IT labs have Microsoft Office and internet access. Computers are generally allocated on a first-come, first-served basis, and the labs can be reserved for hands-on academic classes. IT lab hours and locations are available on the IT website. Log in with your NetID.
- Located in the University Center, room 220, the Tech Lounge is a comfortable, tech-friendly collaborative learning and lounging environment. Access the technology with your NetID.
- The UM Social Media Directory consists of official UM social media channels. You can search all listings and browse by specific category or media channel.
- Assistive technology is available in many computer labs and also on loan for the semester. Contact Disability Services for Students for assistance.
- Presentation & Technology Services provides classroom multimedia support, media production, equipment loans, and video conferencing.
- IT provides campus telephone and network services. To request service or submit a work order, visit the Services catalog for further information.
- Web Technology Services assists campus departments with establishing new websites as well as supporting existing ones. Website production using Cascade Content Management System is also available to campus departments.
- IT Central - IT Central provides free consulting and troubleshooting services on a variety of software programs and technology tools such as email, Microsoft Office, wireless access and various operating systems.
- All Computers that access UM's campus network must have up-to-date anti-virus software. Check with your technical support staff for details.
- Numerous short courses are offered through the IT Short Course training program. Classes include: GrizMart, MS Office (Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word), Banner, UM Data Warehouse, Web Tools, technology for teaching and learning, and general computing. Registration is available on the IT website.
- Many departments operate their own servers and systems. Always check with your technical support staff first to determine what IT campus resources you may need and how those resources can best be provided. If you don't know who supports your department technically, see who supports you.
my.umt.edu is a frequently used web page containing links to some of the most commonly used UM services. These links are represented by icons. Below is a quick reference that displays these icons followed by a brief description of the service.
Moodle - UMOnline offers online and traditional courses with online supplements. The learning management system is Moodle, an internet-based system that provides tools necessary to effectively engage students.
Cyberbear - A secure self-service web system where employees can access information about benefits, pay, leave balances, job information and tax forms.
Library - Access to UM's library catalog, journals and other resources is available through a remote web access using your NetID.
Cascade - Cascade content management system (CMS) allows you to edit your website wherever you happen to be. Your navigation is generated for you, your links managed and your content accessible.