The following procedures are intended for IT short course training program instructors. Please review this important information prior to teaching a course. Questions may be directed to UM IT Help, 243-4357.
Note that during the Corona virus pandemic, all courses are being facilitated via Zoom conferencing.
Short course registration link
IT Short Course website: Used for online registration by campus faculty, staff and students. Must have NetID to register.
Within our system you can view your rosters. Once you are logged in to the system, click on the Instructor tab and you will be able to view the course(s) you are teaching this semester as well as the roster(s).
Course evaluations are available for you to distribute to your course attendees. Each course has its own evaluation so your attendees will need to know which course evaluation link to open. Please remind them. Evaluations will be sent directly from the respondent to your email account. For those of you who teach courses in a lecture setting, we will email the evaluation to your attendees after the course is over.
IT Training Lab
Entering the Lab (SS 127)
Short course instructors will enter the IT Training Lab either using their Griz Card or checking out a card at the UM IT Help counter at SS 120. You will simply swipe the card. A green light should display, confirming your access and you can open the door. FYI, the lab is locked at all times. If you leave the lab temporarily, make sure you have the card with you to reenter.
The lab includes 12 student workstations, one accessibility work station and 1 instructor station. The operating system is Windows 10. Office 2016 is installed on all computers as well as other software used by instructors for teaching purposes. Assistive technology installed software includes: Jaws 2018, Read&Write 11, MAGic 13.1. Google Chrome is the default browser.
Computer log-in and shut down procedures
Plan to arrive at least 15-20 minutes early to assure the lab is ready when registrants arrive. Please turn on the computers prior to your class start time. They are set to auto-login. Please shut down all computers after each class and tidy up the lab – make sure all chairs are pushed in, straighten mice and keyboards. There is a shut down auto-process available on the instructor station. Click on the shut down lab icon, and all machines should shut down within 15 seconds. Please spot check a few computers before departing the lab to ensure the process worked. Computer monitors do not need to be turned off.
Feel free to use the white board. Erase the information once your class is over.
You will need to turn on the video projector before your class begins and then turn it off once your class is over. There is a remote device on the instructor station with on and off buttons.
Instructors of classes with fewer than five students registered may elect to cancel a class. We will contact instructors directly in these situations.
Each semester we provide the following as a courtesy:
- Contact instructors when fewer than five people are registered for a short course so instructors can determine what actions need to be taken. Most likely calls will need to be made to inform the registrants about the cancellation.
- Prepare rosters for each class. Materials will be placed on the instructors station in the lab prior to your class start time.
- Contact registrants two working days prior to class to confirm attendance.
Instructors – rosters: please follow these steps
- Have your class attendees initial the roster when they come to class.
- Once a class is over, please make any necessary notes on the roster and initial off on the roster.
- You may turn in class rosters (bin marked “Completed Rosters” on the table at the front of the classroom) or send them to me via campus mail (IT, SS 120) by Monday following your class(es).
Thank you for serving as an instructor for our IT Short Course Training program.