Student Research Assistants



Student Research Assistants
Hiring and Payroll Procedure

Students hired as Research Assistants at the School of Law are required to complete the hiring forms provided by the University of Montana Human Resource Department. 

Complete information about hiring and payroll can be found on the law school's web site under the Current Students-Research Assistants Heading.

Initial Paperwork

First Time Employees
Students who have not been employed by the university within the last twelve months will need to fill out hiring forms below within three days of hire.  Forms should be returned to the Fiscal Manager, located in the administrative suite (Law 138).

Hiring forms can found on the Student Payroll Web Page, and are also linked below.

Returning Employees
Students who have worked for the law school or university within the past twelve months are only required to complete the Non-Work Study Hire Card.

Payroll (How to Get Paid)

Bi-Monthly Timesheets
Student employees are responsible for completing, getting faculty approval, and submitting their timesheets to the Clinic Program Manager, located in the clinic suite (Law 104) no later than noon on the first business day following the last day of the pay period (the 1st and 18th of each month).

Use the timesheets below to submit your time.

Obtaining Approval
If you have trouble obtaining a hard-copy signature, you are encouraged to send your timesheet to your supervisor as an attachment, copy the Clinic Program Manager at, and have the faculty supervisor “reply all” with his/her approval.

Payroll Schedule
The Student Payroll Schedule is the university’s pay schedule.  On it you can locate pay period beginning and end dates, when payroll closes, and when you can expect to receive your paycheck.

Please note that your first check will be a paper check that you will have to pick up from Student Payroll in the Emma B. Lommasson Center (LOM 252).  Be sure to bring a photo ID. 

If you have applied for direct deposit, all subsequent checks will be electronically deposited.


If you have any other questions about student payroll, please contact

Geri Sturgill
Clinic Program Manager
LAW 104


Becky Garner
Fiscal Manager
LAW 138