Entrance & Scholarship
Brass Audition Requirements
1. All MAJOR and two minor scales.
2. Chromatic scale:
Horn — low c - high c
Trumpet — low f# - high c
Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba
1. Chromatic — low e - high b-flat.
2. 1 lyrical solo/etude and 1 technical solo/etude OR one solo/etude showing both styles.
3. Sight Reading.
University of Montana
School of Music
32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT 59812-7992
Percussion Audition Requirements— Perform on snare drum and at least one of the other elements listed below.
1. Snare Drum:
A. Rudiments — Flam, Flam-tap, Paradiddle, 5 stroke roll, Single stroke roll [Play each open (slow) to closed (fast as possible) to open].
B. Buzz Roll — Play 16 count buzz roll starting pp, cresc. to ff and diminuendo to pp.
C. Solo — perform a prepared solo (rudimental or orchestral) of appropriate difficulty.
2. Mallet Keyboard: Prepared solo or etude of appropriate difficulty.
3. Timpani: Prepared solo or etude.
4. Drumset: Styles — medium swing, up-tempo swing, bossa-nova, samba, 16-note-based funk. Phrase every four bars with a light fill. Soloing — one or more of the above styles and trade fours with yourself (4 bars of time, 4 bars or solo & repeat). You may also play a prepared written solo.
5.Multiple Percussion: Prepared solo or etude