Steps Before Orientation

This is for new Freshman on UM's Main Campus. Please view the Transfer or Missoula College pages if you fit that criteria.

Register for Orientation

Check out your Orientation Options.

Activate Your UMConnect Email Account

Log into your UMConnect Student Email account, and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana, including information about registration, tuition and fees notifications, urgent announcements, notices from President Engstrom and the UM administration. This is a very important step, as we will send you multiple significant emails throughout the pre-Orientation process. If you prefer to forward this email to your personal account, you have that option, as well. View instructions on how to forward your UMConnect email.

To log into your UMConnect account, you will need to use your NetID, which you can find by clicking the "What's my NetID" link below the login. Your initial password will be the last six digits of your Student ID Number (begins with 790, and located on your acceptance letter).

Clear Your Holds

Before you can register for classes you need to verify that there are no holds on your student account. To check your hold status:

  • Log into your CyberBear account, using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID lookup tool. If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
  • If you experience NetID login problems please contact the IT Central Help Desk at (406) 243-HELP (x4357) Mon - Fri 8 am - 5 pm MST.
  • Next, click on the top link that says "Student Services" followed by "Student Records" and then "View Holds".

The most common student account hold is a Health Hold. If you have a Health Hold the Curry Health Center needs a completed Medical Requirement Form as well as verifiable documentations of your immunizations. You can also submit this information online by following these instructions. If you have any questions please contact the Curry Health Center directly at or (406) 243-4330.

Refuse or Buy Health Insurance - Available after April 11

Summer and Fall Orientations Only

The University of Montana requires all students (registered for seven or more credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross/Blue Shield if you are not covered under an existing insurance plan. For more information about the Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan offered through UM, please visit the Student Insurance Program website.

Please log into your CyberBear account to either "Refuse" the UM Health Insurance (if you are already covered under another plan), or to "Buy" the UM Health Insurance (if you are not covered already).

Freshmen Course Registration/My Academics - Available April

Summer and Fall Orientations Only

As a new freshman you will be registered in a set of courses - what we call the "major core courses" - that have been prescribed by your major department for your fall semester. Students still considering your options will be registered for the courses that will help you decide on a major. You tell us your interests - we will tailor a program specific to your needs.

The "major core courses" registration takes place in early June, so regardless of which orientation you choose you will have a core courses schedule when you arrive on campus for Orientation.

Get started on your My Academics tasks today!(Available Mid-April)

During your summer or fall orientation you will meet with your department's orientation advisor and then make changes and additions to your fall schedule if necessary. Some departments assign academic advisors during orientation; others defer the assignment until after classes start. In either case you'll work with a professional advisor or faculty member who can advise you as a new freshman and answer any questions you may have about the major.

Griz Card Online Photo Submission

Get ready to smile! Head to the Griz Card Photo Submission Page to upload a photo for your UM ID. If you do this ahead of time, it’s one less thing to take care of at Orientation. Plus: you get to choose your photo (within reason!)