Steps Before Orientation
Register for Orientation
Activate Your UMConnect Email Account
Log into your UMConnect Student Email account, and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana, including information about registration, tuition and fees notifications, urgent announcements, notices from President Engstrom and the UM administration. This is a very important step, as we will send you multiple significant emails throughout the pre-Orientation process. If you prefer to forward this email to your personal account, you have that option, as well. View instructions on how to forward your UMConnect email.
To log into your UMConnect account, you will need to use your NetID, which you can find by clicking the "What's my NetID" link below the login. Your initial password will be the last six digits of your Student ID Number (begins with 790, and located on your acceptance letter).
Clear Your Holds
Before you can register for classes you need to verify that there are no holds on your student account. To check your hold status:
- Log into your CyberBear account, using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID lookup tool. If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
- If you experience NetID login problems please contact the IT Central Help Desk at (406) 243-HELP (x4357) Mon - Fri 8 am - 5 pm MST.
- Next, click on the top link that says "Student Services" followed by "Student Records" and then "View Holds".
The most common student account hold is a Health Hold. If you have a Health Hold the Curry Health Center needs a completed Medical Requirement Form as well as verifiable documentations of your immunizations. If you have any questions please contact the Curry Health Center directly at email@example.com or (406) 243-4330.
Refuse or Buy Health Insurance
The University of Montana requires all students (registered for seven or more credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross/Blue Shield if you are not covered under an existing insurance plan. For more information about the Blue Cross/Blue Shield plan offered through UM, please visit the Student Insurance Program website.
How to Refuse or Buy Health Insurance:
- You must be registered for Orientation before you can refuse or buy health insurance.
- Once your Orientation registration has been processed, you will see a message on your CyberBear home screen that instructs you to complete the Health Insurance option.
- Please log into your CyberBear account to either "Refuse" the UM Health Insurance (if you are already covered under another plan), or to "Buy" the UM Health Insurance (if you are not covered already).
Freshmen Course Registration/My Academics
As a new freshman you will be registered in a set of courses - what we call the "major core courses" - that have been prescribed by your major department for your fall semester. Students still considering your options will be registered for the courses that will help you decide on a major. You tell us your interests - we will tailor a program specific to your needs.
The "major core courses" registration takes place in early June, so regardless of which orientation you choose you will have a core courses schedule when you arrive on campus for Orientation.
After you sign up for Orientation we will send you an email confirmation with instructions on how to access your MyAcademics page after May 1. This is a webpage with specific information about your transition to UM. The priority deadline to complete your MyAcademics is midnight on Tuesday, May 27. MyAcademics Tasks completed after the priority deadline may have fewer course options, and the final deadlines to complete your MyAcademics Task List are listed below:
- If you are attending the June 16-17 Orientation, complete MyAcademics Tasks by June 9
- If you are attending the June 26-27 Orientation, complete MyAcademics Tasks by June 19
- If you are attending the August 21-22 Orientation, complete MyAcademics Tasks by August 1
During your summer or fall orientation you will meet with your department's orientation advisor and then make changes and additions to your fall schedule if necessary. Some departments assign academic advisors during orientation; others defer the assignment until after classes start. In either case you'll work with a professional advisor or faculty member who can advise you as a new freshman and answer any questions you may have about the major.