Steps Before Orientation
Log Into Cyberbear
You will need to login to Cyberbear before anything else, as this is where you will be asked to create your own password. Your NetID and password will be used to access all areas within http://my.umt.edu such as your student email, Moodle, the course catalog, and much more.
- Log into your CyberBear account, using your NetID as your username. You can find your NetID using the online NetID lookup tool.
- If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
- After logging in for the first time you will be prompted to create your own password. You only need to do this one time.
- If you experience NetID login problems please contact the IT Central Help Desk at (406) 243-HELP (x4357) Mon - Fri 8 am - 5 pm MST.
Log into your UMConnect Student Email account, and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana, including information about registration, tuition and fees notifications, urgent announcements, notices from the President and UM administration.
To log into your UMConnect account, you will use the same NetID and password that you use to access Cyberbear.
If you prefer to forward this email to your personal account, you have that option, as well. View instructions on how to forward your UMConnect email.
Before you can register for classes you need to verify that there are no holds on your student account. To check your hold status:
- Log into your CyberBear account.
- Next, click on the top link that says "Student Services" followed by "Student Records" and then "View Holds".
The most common student account hold is a Health Hold. As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:
- two (2) immunizations for Rubella and
- two (2) immunizations for Rubeola
You must submit verifiable documentation of your immunizations. You can submit immunization information online. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call (406) 243-2122.
Refuse or Buy Health Insurance
The University of Montana requires all students (registered for 6 or more state supported on campus credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. If you are not covered under an existing private insurance plan that covers you while you are in school. UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and has resources for other coverage options as well. *NOTE-Your home state medical assistance is not a private plan.
Please, log into your Cyberbear account to make your insurance selection. When making your selection, please be sure to read the screens completely. There is a specific state requirement if you are receiving Montana Medicaid/HELP/Healthy Montana Kids PLUS. Failure to comply with the requirement could result in the loss of your state medical coverage.
For more information, contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844, email@example.com, or visit the insurance section of the Curry Health Center web page.
Complete Your Online Orientation Module
Once you are admitted you will automatically be added to the UM Orientation for Transfer Students.
Beginning on April 16th, follow these steps to access the online orientation program:
- Log into your Moodle Account, “NetID Login”
- You can find your NetID using the online NetID lookup tool. If you have never logged in with your NetID, your initial password is the last six digits of your UM ID number (begins with 790).
- Access "UM Orientation for Transfer Students"
- Complete Orientation steps
- Contact your department's Academic Advisor (contact information included in the Online Orientation)
- Register for courses online (after receiving your Advising PIN from your Academic Advisor)
Once you have completed your online orientation module, you can communicate with your advisor to register for your courses. The on-campus orientation is optional for transfer students.
Griz Card Online Photo Submission
Get ready to smile! Head to the Griz Card Photo Submission Page to upload a photo for your UM Student ID. New students should submit their photo before attending an orientation program so you can skip the hassle of waiting in line. If you submit your photo in advance we will have your ID card ready for you to pick up at check-in. You will need a government issued photo ID to pick up your Griz Card. The $15 fee for your card will be applied to your first semester bill in CyberBear.