- Soazig Le Bihan
- LA 153
- Phone: (406) 243 6233
- Fax: (406) 243-4076
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Hours:
Fall 2021: Click on the link below to schedule an appointment on Navigate:All Pre-Law advising appointments will be on Zoom until further notice. When the time of your appointment comes, please log onto Umontana Zoom and join the Zoom room below:
Pre-Law Advising Zoom Link:
Meeting ID: 950 7166 6751
- URL: personal website
My research has long focused on the philosophy of physics, especially the philosophy of quantum physics, as well as on modeling, especially in physics and ecology. Recently, I have become interested in issues regarding the relationship between science and values.
I regularly teach classes in the philosophy of science, the foundations of ecology, modern philosophy, and philosophy of law.
I am committed to develop as a public philosopher, which is a little bit of a big name to designate those of us who try to reach out to a larger audience. Check out my public outreach page if you are interested.
I am also the director of the Pre-Law Program at the University of Montana. I get to help and mentor some of the most wonderful human beings I have known doing so. Please go to the UM Pre-Law Program website for more information.
Finally, if you would like a little bit of background, feel free to check out my personal story.
- Ph.D. Philosophy: University of Nancy and Bielefeld University
- Ecole Normale Supérieure Alumna
- B.S. Fundamental Physics: University of Paris VI, Jussieu.
- DEA, Philosophy, Université Sorbonne -- Paris IV
- Maîtrise, Philosophy, Université Nanterre -- Paris X
- B.A. Philosophy, Université Sorbonne -- Paris I
PHL 110E Introduction to Engaged Ethics (online, service component)
PHL 262Y Modern Philosophy
PHL 317E Law and Morality
PHL 319E Law and Discrimination
PHL 508 Philosophy of Law
HONR 391 Pre-Law Seminar
Field of Study
- Philosophy of science
- Philosophy of physics
- Philosophy of ecology
- Philosophy of law
- (under review) Understanding Theoretical Ecological Models
- (2019) Partial truth versus felicitous falsehoods. Synthese. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11229-019-02413-4
- (2017) Epistemically Detrimental Dissent: Contingent Enabling Factors vs Stable Different Makers. Philosophy of Science (with Iheanyi Amadi)
- (2017) Enlightening Falsehood: A modal view of scientific understanding. In Explaining Understanding: Perspectives From Epistemology and Philosophy of Science, ed. by Grimm, Stephen R., Christoph Baumberger, and Sabine Ammon, Routledge.
- (2014), How Understanding Matters – Or not. in Probing the Meaning of Quantum Mechanics: Physical, Philosophical, Mathematical, and Logical Perspectives, ed. by C. de Ronde, S. Aerts, D. Aerts, World Scientific. pp. 127-42
- (2013) Précis de Philosophie de la Physique, Vuibert.
- (2011) "Defending the Semantic View: What it Takes," European Journal for Philosophy of Science, 2(3) (2011): 249-274.
- (2009) "Fine's Ways to Fail to Secure Local Realism," Studies in the History and Philosophy of Modern Physics, 40(2) (2009): 142-150.
Honors / Awards
- 2021. Davidson Honors College Promoting Intellectual Engagement (PIE) Award.
- 2021. Sustainability Award
- 2019. Davidson Honors College Promoting Intellectual Engagement (PIE) Award.
- 2017. Outstanding Faculty Advising Award.
- 2016. Merit Increase. University of Montana.
- 2016. Invited Professor, LabeX TransferS, Equippe république des savoirs, Ecole normale supérieure, Paris.
- 2014. Merit Increase. University of Montana.
- 2013. International Activity Grant. University of Montana.
- 2012. Student Affairs Faculty Award. University of Montana.
- 2011. Visiting Fellow: Center for Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh
- 2011. Faculty Professional Enhancement Grant. University of Montana.
- 2011. Merit Increase. University of Montana.
- 2006-2008. Sawyier Predoctoral Fellowship. Illinois Institute of Technology.
- 2005. DAAD Fellowship.
- 2005. Fellowship Université Franco-Allemande.
- 2004-2005. Graduate Fellowship. Bielefeld University.
- 2004. Huguette Delavault Fellowship. Association des Femmes Françaises Diplomées de l’Université.
- 2004. Conference Expenses Graduate Fellowship. 13th UK Meeting on the Foundations of Physics, York.
- 2003. Travel Grant. Comité National de Philosophie et d’Histoire des Sciences, LMPS, Congress, Oviedo.
- 2002-2005. Mobility Graduate Fellowship “co-tutelle de thèse”. European Union.
- 2001-2002. Jane Eliza Procter Visiting Fellowship. Princeton University.