Larry L. Rasmussen - December 01, 2005
Reinhold Niebuhr Professor of Social Ethics (Emeritus), Union Theological Seminary
"The Massive Mysticism of Stone: Religion's Ecological Phase"
8:00 PM Thursday, December 01, 2005
University Center Ballroom
A much sought-after speaker on Christian attitudes toward environmental issues, Professor Rasmussen has lectured and given seminars all across the United States. He is the co-author, with Daniel C. Maguire, of the acclaimed Ethics for a Small Planet: New Horizons on Population, Consumption, and Ecology (1998).
"Song of Songs: Environmental Activism by Religious Communities"
3:40 PM Thursday, December 01, 2005
Gallagher Business Building 123
You are cordially invited to attend a seminar with Larry L. Rasmussen. After receiving his Th.D. in Christian Ethics from Union Theological Seminary in 1970, he taught at St. Olaf College and then at Wesley Theological Seminary. He became the Reinhold Niebuhr Professor of Social Ethics at Union Theological Seminary in 1986, a position he held until his retirement in 2004. A much sought-after speaker on Christian attitudes toward environmental issues, he has lectured and given sermons all across the United States. His publications include:
- Habitat Earth: New Dimensions of Church and Community in Creation (2001), co-edited with Dieter Hessel;
- Ethics for a Small Planet: New Horizons on Population, Consumption, and Ecology (1998), co-authored with Daniel C. Maguire;
- Earth Community, Earth Ethics (1996);
- Moral Fragments and Moral Community: A Proposal for Church in Society (1993);
- Dietrich Bonhoeffer: His Significance for North Americans (1991); and
- Reinhold Niebuhr: Theologian of Public Life (1991).