Goals and Objectives 2000-2001
15 July 2000
|TO:||R. A. Crofts, Commissioner of Higher Education
The University of Montana Community
|FROM:||G. M. Dennison, President|
|SUBJECT:||Goals and Objectives for 2000-2001|
In a memorandum issued annually, I outline my goals and objectives for the coming year. I use the term goal to refer to a long-term aspiration requiring continuous effort over an extended period, while I identify objectives as the short-term, tactical activities undertaken to assist in the attainment of the goals. Predictably, the goals persist over time, while objectives vary as conditions change. Nonetheless, assessment of success in the pursuit of the goals and of the efficacy of the objectives provides the occasion for new thought about the mission of the University and my own performance.
To guide The University of Montana, with the counsel and advice of all groups on the campuses through appropriate agencies of University governance, so as to maintain campus communities attractive to qualified persons and dedicated to the achievement of the mission of the University.
- Promote an open atmosphere on the campuses characterized by the free interchange of ideas and respect for the rights of all so as to encourage the contributions of all groups and individuals to the fulfillment of the mission of The University of Montana. C Recruit and retain an administrative team dedicated to responsible and participatory governance respectful of the diverse perspectives and interests of the University community, established governance processes, and administrative responsibilities, and to empower the members of the administrative team to fulfill their roles and responsibilities.
- Recruit and retain a diverse group of outstanding faculty and staff members as role models and to serve the needs of the students attracted to the campuses, and to empower the faculty and staff, through professional development programs and the provision of essential infrastructure, facilities, and equipment, to fulfill their roles and responsibilities.
- Implement the University's diversity plan to assure the inclusion of female, minority, and international faculty, staff, and students, with particular attention to the historic role and presence of Native Americans in Montana.
Pursue aggressively the availability of opportunities for faculty, staff, and students to participate in international programs and exchanges.
- Monitor the campus environments to identify areas needing further improvement so as to facilitate the learning, creativity, and development of all students, staff, and faculty.
- Review and evaluate the performance of all members of the administration and staff to assure accountability and provide assistance to those evaluated.
- Complete the establishment of a one-stop shopping center for students on the Missoula campus with the expansion of the Lodge, and insure that the center affords electronic access to students in remote sites or students who do not wish to come to the center. Develop similar programs and centers on the other three campuses, based upon experience in Missoula and the needs of the other campuses.
- Continue the effort on all campuses to improve the facilities essential to serving the needs of the students, faculty, and staff including the renovation of classrooms and laboratories and the construction of the Campus Recreation Center in Missoula.
- Meet during the Academic Year with the faculties of the various Departments and Schools as individual groups in their facilities with an open agenda to discuss issues of interest and concern.
- Meet during the summer with the staff of the non-academic entities as individual groups in their facilities to discuss issues of interest and concern.
- Participate actively in the governance councils of faculty, staff, and students.
To implement the Strategic Directions for The University of Montana to operationalize the concept of "a single University with a presence in several communities."
- With assistance of the Executive Committee, monitor the implementation of the Strategic Directions for The University of Montana under the guidance of the functional Councils of The University of Montana, and explore ways to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the University.
- Assure the continued involvement of all groups in the refinement and implementation of the Strategic Directions.
- Work closely with the Chancellors and other Executive Officers, faculty, staff, and students to complete the implementation of the common suite of integrated information systems for The University of Montana.
- Continue the development of a data warehousing function fully compatible with the Montana State University and the State data systems that will serve the needs of the Montana University System and The University of Montana.
- Complete the facility needs assessment and planning process for all campuses of The University of Montana.
- Meet with and charge the various functional Councils to remain attentive to best practices for the implementation of the concept of "one University with a presence in several communities."
- Complete the implementation of the SCT BANNER suite of integrated systems on all campuses of The University of Montana.
- Continue the development of the Data Warehousing for The University of Montana.
- Develop specific facility plans for the Colleges of Technology in Missoula and Helena.
- Identify new ways to enhance efficiency and reinvest any savings in programs serving students and other clients.
To sustain instructional programs and encourage and promote faculty research and creative activities in fulfillment of the University's mission in instruction, research, and service to the people and communities of Montana.
- Monitor the ongoing review of the program array to assure the most responsive and appropriate array of programs by campus in accordance with assigned mission.
- Develop and secure approval of at least four new academic programs in response to needs.
- Develop and secure approval of at least two collaborative programs involving two or more of the campuses. C Continue to enhance the availability and attractiveness of two-year education.
- Refine the collaborative approach to student recruitment to all campuses of The University of Montana to assure the most appropriate placement to meet the needs of applicants. Investigate the possibility of a common application to all campuses.
- Begin delivery of at least two more off-campus programs in communities with identified needs and involving the faculty of two or more of the campuses.
- Assure the continued accreditation of all programs subject to accreditation.
- Continue the implementation of the outcomes assessment program.
- Review admission standards by campus to reflect the differences in mission, with the appropriate involvement of faculty committees.
- Encourage the continued enhancement of faculty excellence in research and creative activities so as to attract at minimum an increase of ten percent in external funds above the level achieved in FY 2000 to support the mission of the University.
- Promote and implement responsive outreach programs and technology transfer so as to serve the needs of the people of Montana, and implement the research development enterprise in Western Montana.
Specific Activities: The specific activities are clearly indicated by the objectives themselves. However, all activities associated with these objectives will occur within the context of approved processes and procedures for University and University System governance.
To develop the resource base of the University through appropriate participation with the Commissioner and the Board of Regents to plan and implement a strategy to enhance public awareness of and support for higher education, to influence the legislative process, and to attract private support for the University.
- Travel widely throughout the State and talk to various groups explaining the contributions and needs of higher education, and to gain support for increased funding for higher education.
- Participate in a coordinated effort to persuade voters and legislators of the need for incremental increases in State-funded student financial assistance.
- Collaborate with the Commissioner and others in the Montana University System to review and refine the funding model
- Continue the tuition reduction for the Colleges of Technology and lower division students on the Havre and Dillon campuses.
- Assure strong and viable alumni associations and foundations to serve all four campuses, while providing for appropriate coordination of effort involving all of them.
- Continue to work with various organizations, groups, and individuals in the private sector to develop private support for the campuses of the University, recognizing donor preferences within the context of Regentally-approved roles and missions of the campuses.
- Explore the capacity of auxiliaries to contribute to the ongoing operational support of the University campuses.
- Develop a comprehensive marketing program for the multi-campus University.
Specific Activities: All specific activities are clearly indicated by the identified objectives. The efforts to generate support from the private sector will occur through the auspices of the foundations associated with the campuses.
To assure full accountability to the Commissioner of Higher Education, the Board of Regents, and the State of Montana for the use of resources and the implementation of applicable rules, regulations, and policies.
- Fully implement a management approach that distributes authority and responsibility to those on the front lines who must help to design the work processes for maximum effectiveness and efficiency characterized by the highest possible quality of service to clients, based on the concept that functions are central, services local.
- Maintain an efficient and responsive internal audit function to assure compliance with Regents' policies and State law.
- Implement a University budget for 2000-2001 that conforms to the System priorities and budget as approved by the Board of Regents.
- Continue to assess and revise University policies and procedures so as to assure maximum efficiency and full compliance with all applicable rules, regulations, statutes, and audit findings.
- Develop for FY2002 adequate reserves so as to have the capacity to deal with unforeseen contingencies that may arise on any of the campuses of The University of Montana.
- Stand accountable for responsible stewardship of all University resources, including the physical plant and the environment. Specific Activities: The specific activities are clearly indicated by the identified objectives.
To communicate the goals, objectives, accomplishments, and contributions of the Montana University System and The University of Montana to the people of Montana and the nation and serve as a spokesperson and representative for higher education and for the University.
- Work closely with the Commissioner of Higher Education, the Regents, the Montana State University President, and the Chancellors of The University of Montana campuses to explain the role and value of higher education in Montana, the nation, and the world.
- Explain fully to the faculty, staff, students, parents, and external constituencies the meaning and significance of the concepts of "a single University with a presence in several communities," and "functions are central, services local."
- Articulate fully how the restructured University System functions as a System and meets the needs of the people of Montana.
- Develop and articulate widely a full rationale for the benefits received from foundations that serve the campuses of The University of Montana, and explain fully the use of donated funds.
Specific Activities: The specific activities are clearly indicated by the identified objectives.
I anticipate that the annual evaluation will focus upon the identified goals and objectives which I have attempted to state in terms that lend themselves to evaluation.
c: Chancellors Executive Officers