Level I Proposals
All Level I proposals require both Faculty Senate and Board of Regents approval. Some require Level II documentation as well. To learn more see the BOR Guidelines for Level I and Level II Proposals and BOR Policy 303.1.
Level I proposals address changes such as:
- Re-titling or eliminating existing majors, minors, and options;
- Adding new certificates or minors where there is a major, or an option in a major;*
- Departmental mergers and name changes;
- Program revisions;*
- Distance delivery of previously authorized degree programs;
- Placement of a program into moratorium;
- Notice of Intent to Termate/Withdraw an existing major, minor, option, or certificate;
- Termination/Withdraw existing major, minor, option, or certificate;
- Adding option within an existing major or degree;*
- Eliminating organizational units such as departments, divisions and colleges or schools;*
- Consolidating existing program and/or degree;*
- Creating temporary certificate or A.A.S. degree programs; and
- Creating a certificate program of 29 credits or fewer.
*requires additional Level II Board of Regents documentation (Curriculum Proposal Form)
Level I proposals include campus initiatives typically characterized by (a) minimal costs; (b) clear adherence to approved campus mission; and (c) the absence of significant programmatic impact on other institutions within the Montana University System and community colleges.
Step 1: Submission to the Office of the Provost
- Please submit hard copy and electronic (Word) versions of all applicable Faculty Senate and BOR forms and any appendices for initial review in the Provost's office.
- Level I Proposals must include:
- Faculty Senate Level I Program form: requires the signature of the program chair/director, signatures from chairs/directors of other affected programs, and the appropriate dean's signature.
- BOR Level I Request Form and Item Template: Note that the item number and date of the BOR meeting should be left blank, to be added by the Provost's Office before final submission. Please provide a one or two paragraph description or explanation of the proposal under the "Specify Request" section of the Request Form.
- Termination Checklist: If a program is being terminated, this checklist must accompany the second stage of a two-part process.
- Course Form: When a Level I proposal requires the addition of new courses, please include a Faculty Senate Course Form and the appropriate syllabi.
- In addition, Level I Proposals with Level II documentation must include a:
Step 2: Submission to the Faculty Senate
After initial review, the Office of the Provost will submit copies of the proposal to the Faculty Senate Office for placement on the Senate agenda.
Step 3: Submission to the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education (OCHE)
- Following Senate approval, the Provost's office will add the appropriate dates and item numbers on the BOR forms, perform minor revisions as necessary, and submit to OCHE.
Always check the MUS website for the most recent Academic forms.