The purpose of the Visiting Scholar Program is to bring distinguished scholars to UM to conduct workshops or seminars, to give lectures or performances, or to otherwise work with UM faculty and students. Visits supported as part of this call must be during regular University sessions.
The goal of this program is to expose UM and the UM campus community to national or international level scholars, thereby enhancing the professional capacities of UM faculty and exposing UM students to leaders in a particular field.
- The potential visitor must provide a letter confirming his/her willingness to participate in this program.
- The Visitor's Curriculum Vitae shall be included.
- The suggested titles and approximate dates of presentations or seminars, etc. shall be included.
- The promise for developing professional capacities of UM faculty members shall be stated.
- A budget must be included. Please indicate requests for, or commitments of, any matching funds, since these are viewed as very meaningful by the Faculty Development Committee.
- A letter of support from the Department Chair must be provided. Letters of support from other departments will also enhance the proposal.
- Please prioritize applications if multiple proposals in more than one category of faculty development are submitted.
- The recipient(s) of awards which result in presentations, seminars, performances, etc. which are of general interest to the UM community will be responsible for informing University Relations of these events so that they can be placed on the official university calendar.
The UM Faculty Development Program should be acknowledged as having supported any activities which may result from this funding. Examples would be if manuscripts are published, presentations or performances given, or so on.
Successful proposals may receive support to a maximum of $1,500. Proposals may include support for travel, lodging, per diem, honoraria, or other appropriate expenses.
For important application guidelines, please see the Faculty Professional Enhancement Program description.
Deadline for Submission
The deadline for proposal submissions is 12:00 p.m. on Friday, October 10, 2014.
If you have questions, please call Amy Kinch at 243-5897.