First-Year students: sign up for C&I 194: First-Year Seminar (1cr)
Studies show that participation in a class like this is connected to a greater likelihood of graduating. This one-credit course meets for one hour a week. It can make all the difference in your first semester and set you up for success throughout your career at UM.
Talk to your advisor or sign up on Cyberbear now!
- learn about campus life and resources
- make connections with other first-year students
- develop key academic skills
- transition to college successfully
Students surveyed in the course last semester said that the First-Year Seminar helped them feel more confident that they could succeed at UM.
1. Learn About Campus Life & Resources
Many new students are not aware of the huge support system that exists to help them succeed at UM. In this course, you will learn about just some available campus resources.
2. Develop Academic Skills
This course will help you develop the key academic skills that will allow you to successfully transition from high-school to university-level coursework.
- You will develop oral and written communication skills.
- You will apply critical thinking and problem solving to course materials and personal decision making.
- You will expand your habits of mind for studing (e.g. reading, writing, note-taking, test-taking).
3. Make Connections
- The small class size (25 students or fewer) allows you to develop relationships with your classmates and instructor.
- Seminars will be created to include students with similar academic interests (as well as undecided students).
- This course is discussion-based and encourages participation and engagement.
- A peer mentor is a part of each class and is available to provide an experienced student's point of view.
- Learn how to communicate effectively and professionally with your professors.