Early Alert Program
The Early Alert Program was instituted during the fall 2007 semester as part of the University's Partnering for Student Success Initiative. The program is designed to identify students who might be having academic difficulty and to direct them to assistance.
An integral part of this process is the Early Alert Survey which was introduced during the fall 2014 semester. The survey currently allows faculty to identify students who are not attending class and/or students who are performing poorly in class (“D” work or less). Faculty can also submit comments about any additional concerns they may have about the student so that academic advisors can connect with the student and provide more detailed assistance and direction.
Important points regarding the initiative:
- The Provost has asked that all instructors teaching subjects at the courses numbered 200 level and below participate in Early Alert each semester. Only those students who are not attending or are experiencing academic difficulty (“D” work or less) should be marked on the survey.
- Students who are attending and are doing satisfactory work in the course should not be marked on the survey.
- Please announce to your class that you will be providing early alert information for those students who are having difficulty, and that these students will receive an email on their university email account with additional details.
The Early Alert Survey will be available at the end of the 2nd week of each fall and spring semester and will be open through the end of the 6th week of each semester. If you have any questions about the process or have difficulty accessing your grade rosters, please contact the Office for Student Success by email.
The instructions for processing early alerts using the survey tool follow. Thank you for your efforts in helping to assure that our students succeed.
The Office for Student Success will send an email at the end of the second week of the semester to all undergraduate teaching faculty. The email will contain a link to the Early Alert Survey tool. No login is required. The survey tool will contain a drop down list of the instructor’s course(s) and the associated course roster with each student’s name, email address and primary major.
- Click the “Academic” checkbox for each student performing “D” work or below.
- Click the “Attendance” checkbox for any student who is not currently attending or whose academic performance is impacted by their lack of attendance.
- Enter any comments that may help the student’s advisor better understand the nature of the alert or instructions you would like the advisor to pass on to the student.
- Click Finalize when all alert entry is complete and ready to be shared with the students and their respective advisors.
- Click “Save”, if needed, to capture the current alert entries and complete the alert survey at a later time.
- The survey will expire at the end of the 6th week of the semester.
If you require any assistance, please contact the OSS Systems Administrator, Trevor Rehm, at 243-2297.