Final Grading Information
Final Grade Entry
- Final grading will be available on CyberBear the Thursday before finals week
- Enter grades as soon as practical or four calendar days after the final is given in CyberBear log in page
- The deadline to enter grades is no later than midnight on the Tuesday after finals week
- An explanation of all grades can be found in the Grading Matrix
Why Grades Are Needed By The Week After Finals Week
- Satisfactory Academic Progress processes are run by the Registrar's Office the day following the grade submission deadline. These processes provide for enforcement of faculty academic performance and progress policy, and determine if students are in good standing, placed on probation, or placed on suspension. These processes must run immediately to allow for enforcement of academic policy.
- Financial Aid processes are also impacted, as academic standing/progress determines student eligibility for continued receipt of financial aid. If a student earns an F, RF, I, NC or NCR grade, federal financial aid regulations require you submit the last date of attendance for those students.
- Graduation Audits and Awarding of Degrees are also dependent upon receipt of student grades by the deadline.
Recording Last Date of Attendance Now Required for "F", "RF" and "I" Grades
You will not be able to submit any of your grades if you do not enter last date of attendance as required by the Department of Education. This feature is no longer optional. Follow these instructions exactly as stated or the system will not save any of the grades entered. Last date of attendance is not required for NF grades.
- Enter all final grades, except grades that require a last date of attendance
- Click submit
- Go back into the roster and enter F, RF, or I and the associated last date of attendance for each student in the date format MM/DD/YYYY
- Press submit
- Review roster to make sure all grades are submitted correctly including last dates of attendance
THE PRIMARY INSTRUCTOR MUST SUBMIT GRADES ELECTRONICALLY
Grades may only be submitted by the primary instructor of the course. Instructor assignments can be viewed in the CyberBear dynamic class Schedule
The primary instructor is designated by a (P) following the name of the instructor. If any changes to primary instructor assignments are need please notify room scheduler and include the CRN, SUJB, CRSE #, & SECT # of the course and the 790# of the new instructor)
Grade Entry Instructions:
- Submit grades electronically in CyberBear log in page
- Click on Login.
- Enter your NetID and password. Information regarding your NetID and password can be found on the Registrar's web page titled CyberBear Instructions in the Faculty/Staff tab.
- Click on CyberBear for Faculty and Advisors.
- Read FERPA Warning and then click on "I understand the FERPA Warning" button.
- Click on the Final Grades link.
- Select the appropriate term and click on Submit.
- Use the drop down menu to select the CRN you wish to access and then click on Submit.
- Use the drop down menu to display the allowable grades for each student, and then simply click on the grade you wish to assign.
- Click the Submit button at the bottom of the page. Remember that the system will "time out" if inactive for 30 minutes, so be sure to click "submit" often!
- You may make grade changes via CyberBear until the column titled "Rolled" changes from N to Y. Once this column is Y, you must submit a paper grade change form to the Registrar's Office.
- For linked courses, the grades will be submitted most often on the large lecture roster instead of the discussion/lab rosters.
IF A STUDENT'S NAME DOES NOT APPEAR ON YOUR FINAL GRADE ROSTER
Click on the e-mail link at the bottom of the roster that reads Link to Send Student Names Missing From This Roster and Their Grades. (If a student is auditing a course and fails to meet attendance requirements, this link may also be used for reporting "Unsatisfactory Attendance.") It is important that you submit the student's name via this link, so that if a registration error occurred, the Registrar's Office will have the grade on file. Please supply the information for every student you add as noted in the e-mail heading.
EXAMPLE: CRN SUBJ CRSE SEC ID STUDENT NAME GRADE
30648 NAS 100H 01 790-15-1515 Jones, Joseph A. B
HOW TO SUBMIT ALTERNATE GRADES FOR INCOMPLETE'S (OTHER THAN F)
If you assign an incomplete grade and the alternate grade is not an 'F', then click on the e-mail link at the bottom of the roster that reads Link to Send Alternate Grades (Other than F) for Incomplete to Registrar's Office. Please supply the information for every student as noted in the e-mail heading.
EXAMPLE: CRN SUBJ CRSE SEC ID STUDENT NAME ALTERNATE GRADE
30648 NAS 100H 01 790-45-4585 Johnson, Sarah L. B
FINANCIAL AID AND UM'S BUDGET - RECORDING LAST DATE OF ATTENDANCE
When a student fails a course (F or RF - Remedial F) or is graded with an I, NC or NCR, federal financial aid can be retained by The University of Montana ONLY if the student has "earned" the money by attending classes. You must record that last date of attendance as follows:
- If a student is failing with a grade of "F", "RF", "I", "NC", or "NCR":
- Record the last date of attendance
- Use the format MM/DD/YYYY in the "Last Attend Date" column.
- A grade of "NF" is appropriate when:
- The student never attended
- Last date of attendance is not required for NF grades
Non-traditional Grade Information
- 'NCR' is the grade for No Credit. For undergraduates 'NCR' must be assigned for work equal to 'F' in quality.
- 'CR' is the grade for credit.' CR' must be assigned for work judged 'D-' or better for undergraduates.
- Credit/No Credit is undefined in relation to traditional grades for graduate coursework.
- 'NF' may be assigned only if the student NEVER attended class. The assumption of the 'NF' grade is that a registration error occurred and the 'F' grade is not earned. The 'NF' grade will enable the student to correct a registration error without petitioning.
- 'F' ('RF' for Remedial Classes - those numbered below the 100-level) is the grade assigned if a student attended one or more class days. Please provide last date of attendance using this format: MM/DD/YYYY
- 'I' (incomplete) is appropriate when a student has been in regular attendance and passing for a majority of the class meeting, but is unable to finish for reasons acceptable to you, within the semester. If you assign an incomplete grade and the alternate grade is not an 'F', then click on Link to Send Alternate Grades (other than 'F') For INCOMPLETE To Registrar's Office.
- 'N' (work in progress) is appropriate when the nature of the course requires more than one semester for completion, such as Thesis or Research courses.
- 'NC' is a no credit, non-punitive grade allowed only for students in WRIT 095 or WRIT 101 who have made significant improvements in writing, but have not achieved passing work and must repeat the course.
- If a student has officially dropped or withdrawn, a grade of 'W', 'WP', and 'WF' will be already be entered in the grade column, and the column will read "NOT GRADABLE".