Name Changes for Students

Any student who has legally changed their name should contact the Registrar’s Office to update their student record.  To do so, the student must present a government issued photo ID showing the new name to a Registrar’s Office staff member in the Lommasson Center.  The student will also complete the Change of Name form at that time. 

Name Change Form for Students

Current or former students who cannot present identification in person may sign the Change of Name form before a Notary Public, then email, mail, or fax the notarized form to the Registrar’s Office.

Acceptable Forms of Photo ID:

  • Driver’s license
  • State ID card
  • Tribal ID card
  • Military ID card
  • Passport

The photo ID presented must reflect your new name. Alternately, a student may present a photo ID with the former name if they also present a court order declaring the change from the former name to the new name.

What Will Change?

  • Central student record 
    • This is viewable by Business Services, Financial Aid, advisors, etc.  Your former name will remain in the history as an alternate identifier.
  • Online campus directory
  • UMConnect student email address
    • The address will update to reflect your new first and last name.  Your correspondence will not disappear, but senders will need to use your new address.
  • Class rosters
    • If you are taking classes when you change your name, your instructor’s CyberBear roster will update.  However, your instructor may not see the update on CyberBear until they submit grades at the end of the semester.  We recommend you let your instructor know your name has changed so they can award the grade you’ve earned.

What Won’t Change?

  • NetID
  • Student ID number
  • Moodle profile – can be changed inside Moodle; click your name in top right, Preferences, Edit profile
  • Human Resource records – see Human Resources if employed by UM