Kathryn Heivilin, CPIA, RBP
Senior IACUC Manager
UM Biosafety Officer
Emergency Vet Coverage
Weekend/Holiday, Evening and Emergency Veterinary Coverage
Last updated: November 20, 2018
Laboratory Animal Resources will provide optimal veterinary care, at all times, for the animals in its charge. For the purposes of this process, veterinary emergencies are defined as situations in which animals become ill, injured or severely distressed, particularly during non-business hours (i.e. evenings and weekends/holidays). It is University of Montana policy that no animal should endure unnecessary pain or suffering and
To report a veterinary emergency, please follow the steps delineated below:
- Notify an on-duty Laboratory Animal Resources staff member. LAR office phone: (406) 243-4892 or (406) 243-2358.
- This will generally apply during regular business hours (Mon-Fri: 7 a.m.-5 p.m.) and on weekend/holiday mornings.
- If an on-duty LAR staff member does not respond in a timely fashion or is unavailable (i.e., evenings, and weekend/holiday afternoons ), go to Step 2.
- Notify the Attending Veterinarian, Pam Broussard, D.V.M. at(406) 552-9599.
- The Attending Veterinarian will assess the situation and determine the appropriate course of action.
- If the AV does not respond in a timely fashion or is unavailable, go to Step 3.
- Notify the local veterinarian at Eastgate Veterinary Clinic, Mark Klietz, D.V.M.:
- The Local Veterinarian will assess the situation and determine the appropriate course of action.
- If the Local Veterinarian is unavailable, go to Step 4.
- Notify Western Montana Small Animal Emergency Clinic, (406) 829-9300. A veterinarian is in the building, 5:30 p.m.-8 a.m. (Mon-Thur), 5:30 p.m.-8 a.m., (Fri-Mon), and on all major holidays.
- The on-duty Emergency Veterinarian will assess the situation and determine the appropriate course of action.
Facility users are asked to reserve use of the above S.O.P. for severe or life-threatening emergencies. General inquiries and requests for information or service should be directed to the LAR office, (406) 243-4892 or (406) 243-2358, during regular business hours.
Other emergencies (e.g., fire, flood, physical plant problems, and security issues) should be reported to the UM Police Department, (406) 243-6131.