Date Adopted: December 28, 2005
Last Review Date: September 11, 2020
Policies and procedures for the Office for Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and AAALAC International require that any suspension of research activity or any serious or ongoing issues of noncompliance involving animals regulated by these organizations be promptly reported to these agencies.
A. Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare (OLAW)
1. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC), through the
Institutional Official (IO), must contact the office of the Director of Compliance at
OLAW immediately after any of the following instances:
a. Suspension of any activity by the IACUC
b. Serious or continuing non-compliance with Public Health Service (PHS) Policy
c. Significant deviation from the provisions of The Guide for the Care and Use of
2. After IACUC and IO review and remedy, a formal written report will be filed with
OLAW within 3 months of the event stating
a. A full explanation of circumstances
b. Description of corrective actions taken
c. Minority views filed by the IACUC
d. Status of the research program
B. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
1. The IACUC, through the IO, must contact the Western Regional Director of Animal
Care immediately concerning research activity involving USDA-regulated species
suspended by the IACUC as well as any federal agency funding the activity.
2. Copies of all written reports involving USDA-regulated species submitted to OLAW
will be sent to the Western Regional Director of Animal Care.
C. AAALAC International
1. The IACUC, through the IO, must contact AAALAC immediately after suspension
of any research activity.
2. Copies of all written reports submitted to OLAW or USDA will be sent to AAALAC