End of Semester Info
Residence Halls Close at Noon on Saturday, May 13, 2017
All residents must move out, clean their room, and have a checkout completed by Noon on Saturday, May 13, 2017.
- All residents must attend the mandatory end of semester floor meeting on Tuesday, May 2nd, or Wednesday, May 3rd. Signs will be posted with specific times for meetings within each hall.
- Residents will need to sign up for a checkout time with any RA that fits their schedule. Checkout time schedules will be available to sign up for at the Hall Area Desks starting after the mandatory floor meetings. Checkout times must be signed up for at least 48 hours in advance.
- To prepare for their scheduled checkout time, residents will need to have all belongings removed from their room. The room must be cleaned thoroughly including dusting, sweeping, mopping, and taking trash out. For a complete checklist for cleaning, please see the Semester Checkout & Cleaning Guide.
- When the scheduled checkout time arrives, an RA will meet the resident at their room to complete an initial inspection and collect the room key/card and mailbox key. Please note that Residence Life maintenance staff will complete a thorough inspection during the summer.
Tips for a successful checkout
- Attend your scheduled checkout time. Not being prepared and/or not attending your scheduled checkout time could result in charges including $40.00 for an improper checkout, $25.00 for not returning room cards or access cards, $100.00 for not returning mailbox keys, and $100.00 for not returning metal room keys.
- Make your travel/living arrangements at least a week in advance. Think about where you are going to live after you move out and how are you getting there. You won't want to sign up for a Tuesday checkout time if where you are going to live isn't available or your ride won't be here until Thursday.
- Cleaning always takes longer than planned. When signing up for a checkout time, think about when you plan to be done and then sign up for an hour after that time. This will give you a buffer to make sure you are ready to check out when your time is up.
- Make sure you complete all items on the Checkout & Cleaning Guide. The inspection at time of checkout is a quick look at the room by the RA to make sure furniture isn't missing, no major cleaning needs to be completed, and that your belongings are gone. Maintenance staff will do a complete inspection including damage repairs and cleaning in the weeks following your checkout. Any costs for additional cleaning or damages found will be charged to your student account.
- Donate gently used items such as clothing, small appliances, unopened food, bedding, and school supplies to Campus Thrift, May 11th - May 13th.
Reminders Once You Are Checked Out
- Update your mailing address on CyberBear. Mail is not held over the summer. Any first class mail received can be forwarded to the mailing address on CyberBear. If you have not updated your address, first class mail will be returned to sender on arrival. Non-first class mail such as newspapers and magazines cannot be forwarded and are therefore thrown away. Please make sure your new address is updated with senders including family, friends, banks, newspapers, magazines, cell phone companies, etc.
- Pay owing balance on your CyberBear Account. Fees such as parking tickets, temporary room keys, and health charges can add up over the semester. You will want to make sure these are paid for to avoid additional interest charges and possibly having registration problems in the Fall. Please note that cleaning and damage charges from checkout inspections are assessed throughout the summer. Therefore, you should check your CyberBear frequently to pay those charges.
Residence Life offers convenient and reasonably priced storage units located in five of their nine Residence Halls for students to rent over the summer or during the academic year. Units vary in rates as well as sizes.
Students who have submitted a completed housing application for the Residence Halls, Lewis & Clark Village, or the University Villages for the 2017-2018 Academic Year are eligible to rent a storage unit to store their items over the summer.
To check on availability, please see the Residence Life Office in Turner Hall from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday-Friday. Storage units are rented on a first-come, first-served basis.
Please contact the Residence Life Office in Turner Hall, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, Monday - Friday, to check on summer housing availability. Space is very limited and is assigned on a first-come, first-served basis. For general information about summer housing, please view the summer housing page.