FAQs - Residence Halls

Below are answers to commonly asked questions for the residence halls.

About Applying to Housing

How do I apply to housing and when should I do this?

You may apply for the Residence Halls by completing the online application. A $225 payment is required with the application. $25 is a non-refundable processing fee and the $200 is a prepayment deposit which applies to your semester bill once you move into your room and finalize your student account. Housing applications are accepted throughout the year.  However, rooms are assigned on a first come, first serve basis by the submission date of the application.

Is there a deposit for housing and is it refundable?

The $200 prepayment deposit is required along with a $25 non-refundable processing fee. The $200 prepayment is refundable if the housing application is canceled by the semester cancellation deadline.  All cancellations must be made directly with Residence Life by the student. Canceling or changing admissions with Enrollment Services does not cancel your housing. See the Rates page for more information on the cancellation process and deadlines.

Can I pick which Residence Hall I live in?

The housing application includes a short survey in which you will indicate your living preferences. You may select up to three of your top choices in residence halls. Please review the hall options before submitting your application. Keep in mind that all room assignments are made on a first come, first serve basis. The available choices become more limited as we get closer to the semester beginning.

Can I pick my own roommate?

You may request a roommate on your housing application.  The roommate request must be mutual and both students must request each other on the applications. Roommate requests are based on availability and both roommates should submit applications together or within a short period of time between in order be accommodated.

If a roommate is not requested, you will be assigned one based off of your preferences on the housing application. Roommates are matched based on age, alcohol tolerance, cleanliness, and whether you smoke or not.

When will I find out my housing assignment?

Spring housing assignments are made the second week of January each year and should be available on Cyberbear by the third week of January.
Fall housing assignments are made starting in March. View the Fall Application Status section on the Apply page to view the updated status of which applications are currently being assigned.  Once a room has been assigned, the room/roommate information will be available on Cyberbear.

How and when do I find out who my roommate is for next year?

Roommate information is found on the room assignment screen of Cyberbear. For detailed directions on viewing your room/roommate information, view our Housing Assignment Guide.
When you will be assigned a roommate can vary depending on availability and your living preferences. You may be assigned a roommate right away or not until right before the semester starts. Please keep in mind that roommate often change before the move-in date. It is not common to have 2-3 different roommate due to cancellations room changes. We suggest not making any solid plans on purchases such as refrigerators with your future roommate until a few weeks before the semester.

What if I look my roommate up on Facebook and do not think we are a good match?

We strongly suggest avoiding the use of social media sites such as Facebook to look up your roommate. These sites often do not provide an accurate representation of what a roommate might be like in person. There is also a high chance that you look at the wrong person’s profile. Depending on the name, there could be hundreds or even thousands of people with the same name. Instead of taking the chance of a bad impression, we suggest contacting your roommate using the contact information provided on Cyberbear.  If the semester starts and you find that your roommate really isn’t the best match, you can get on a waitlist to change rooms at any of the halls you are interested in living. If a room opens up and you are next on the waitlist, you will be able to move to a new room.

How much does it cost to live in the Residence Halls?

Residence Hall Room Rates are proposed and subject to change pending approval of the Board of Regents. All rates include cable TV, high-speed Internet, and all utilities.

Am I required to have a meal plan if I live in the Residence Halls?

All students living on campus are required to have a meal plan. UM Dining offers three meal plans to choose from and they range in costs and benefits so you are sure to find one to meet your needs!

When can I move into my room for the semester?

The first official opening day of housing is the Saturday before classes start each semester. Early arrival is available starting the Saturday before the official opening day in fall and the Tuesday before the official opening day in spring. There is an additional early arrival fee for each day you arrive before the official opening day. No arrangements are required for early arrival. You will be able to check into your room by going to the front desk of your hall after 9:00am each day of early arrival. The early arrival fee will be added to your student account the first week of school.

Can I ship packages to myself before I move into my room?

The residence halls start accepting mail and packages the first day of early arrivals. You may ship items to yourself starting on that day. However, space is limited for storing packages so please ship packages so they arrive as close to your arrival as possible. All packages will be held at the front desk of your hall until you sign for them.

Are Freshman required to live on-campus?

The state of Montana requires all students with less than 30 credits earned to live in the residence halls. Please see the Freshmen Residency Requirement for more information.

About Moving In

What is furnished in my room?

All residence halls are equipped with standard twin-size beds (NOT extra-long), desks, dresser, closet, chair, bookshelf, overhead light,  network connection, and a wastebasket. Pantzer Hall suites' common living area also has a refrigerator, microwave, large storage closet, a furnished living room, and two bathrooms. Miller Hall pods also have a refrigerator, microwave, carpeted living room furnished with a two-seat sofa, and sofa table.  Miller Hall singles also have a refrigerator and microwave.

What should I bring?

  • Personal care items
  • Toiletry basket
  • Shower shoes
  • Pillow
  • Mattress pad
  • Standard twin size sheets
  • Blankets
  • Hangers
  • Bath towels
  • School supplies, such as notebook paper and pens
  • Desk study lamp
  • Alarm clock
  • Laundry basket or bag
Optional items that many students bring, but are not needed include:
  • Television
  • Radio
  • Throw rugs
  • Pictures/posters
  • Camera
  • Bathrobe
  • Desk organizer
  • Small fan
  • Refrigerator (under 4.0 cubic feet inside space)

What can't I bring?

  • Electrical appliances for cooking are not allowed in any of the buildings. Exceptions are hot air poppers, coffee pots and hot pots, and microwaves.
  • Anything with an open element
  • Candles
  • Pets (other than fish in a  tank 10 gallons or less)

Why can't I have a George Foreman grill in my room?

The residence halls are not vented like houses, so cooking at higher temperatures for meat products is not safe inside a residence hall room. Coffee pots, popcorn poppers, and microwaves are allowed. However, no other cooking appliances are allowed in individual rooms. In kitchens provided in the halls, baking is allowed but again, no cooking of meat as these kitchens are not vented for higher temperature cooking.

What size are the beds?

All beds in the residence halls are standard twin size mattresses.

What if I arrive in Missoula without towels or bedding?

Residence Life partners with On Campus Marketing to provide students with an opportunity to order their room linens in advance. We encourage you to check out their website for linen options that you may purchase for your Residence Hall room.

About Living in the Halls

Can I stay in my room over breaks?

The halls are open and residents may stay in their room during both Thanksgiving and Spring Break and there is no additional cost for this. If a student wants to stay all or part of Winter Break, they must sign up in advance of the break in the Residence Life Office in Turner Hall. Housing during Winter Break is $19.50 per day and residents must turn in their room key or access card if they leave for any part of Winter Break.

Is there a curfew in the Residence Halls?

There is not a curfew in the residence halls. Students are expected to set their own limits and be mindful they live in a community with other people. The halls do have quiet hours residents are expected to follow.

What does it mean to get documented in the Residence Halls or other University housing?

Being documented by the staff in all University housing areas means an alleged violation has occurred and all individuals present at the time will be documented through the student conduct code. The student conduct code process will allow for students to attend an administrative meeting and share their role in the situation to determine if any violations have occurred. All students enrolled at The University of Montana and Missoula College are obligated to follow the student conduct code and anytime a potential violation occurs, then a report (documentation) is filed and everyone involved will be required to attend a meeting to resolve the potential violation(s).

What is Behavioral OPTIONS class and how much do I have to pay to take the class?

The purpose of Behavioral OPTIONS class is twofold: to help people think about the behavior that got them into trouble while exploring options that might decrease or eliminate future troubles; and to do so as soon as possible. OPTIONS has 3 phases, however, the initial class consists of a 2 hour multi-media presentation that teaches students the skills and information necessary to better manage their substance use and this is followed by a 3 hour seminar to discuss the “culture of drinking” that surrounds campus. The cost for this class is $70.

What if I do not like my roommate? My roommate and I do not have anything in common and do not get along?

Prior to moving in, try contacting your roommate via the contact information provided on Cyberbear.  Work to establish room expectations or rules that you both can agree. After you have moved into your room, your Residence Assistant (RA) will have a floor meeting and hand out roommate agreements for each room to use to communicate expectations of the room and each other. These agreements are completed at the beginning of the year, however, can be modified as the year progresses and roommates learn more about each other and their living habits.

What happens if my roommate does not show up or moves out during the semester?

It is not uncommon for a small number of no shows to occur due to someone not canceling their housing prior to the semester starting.  A semester audit is completed during the first two weeks of the semester to determine what spaces are available due to late cancellations or no shows.  

If you do not have a roommate after all students are moved out of interim* rooms or if your roommate moves out during the semester, you will receive a three options letter.  This letter will give you three options to decide from:

  • Option 1: You can keep the as a double as a single.  There is an additional charge to keep the room as a single.  The additional daily charge will be prorated from the time your roommate moved out or was determined to be a no show.  The semesterly rate for a double as a single can be found on the rates page.
  • Option 2: If you have a friend that would like to be your roommate, they can move into your room once approved by Residence Life.
  • Option 3: If you want a roommate, but do not know anyone needing a roommate, the Residence Life Office will find you a roommate.  The Residence Life Office will try to find someone to move into your current room based off waitlists of students wanting to move into your hall.  If no one is available from the waitlist and the only option is someone else that also chose option 3, the person that submitted their housing application first will determine who will move.

The three options letter is time sensitive as you will only have two days from the time it is sent to choose an option.  The decision form included with the options letter must be completed and returned to the hall desk.  If you do not return the completed form by the deadline, you will default to option 1 and be charged for a double as a single.  If you later decide to choose option 2 or 3, you will be charged the prorated double as single rate until your new roommate has completed their move.  If you choose option 2 or 3 by the deadline and later decide to keep the room as a single, you will be charged the prorated amount from the time of your original roommate's move out date. 

Once a decision is made, all moves must be completed within 48 hours of checking out the temporary key to the new room.  If the official checkout is not completed within 48 hours, the resident moving will be charged the daily prorated amount for both rooms until the checkout is completed by an RA.

If your roommate moves out at the end of fall semester, the space will be used for new incoming students for spring semester.  If you still do not have a roommate after the spring semester audit, you will be sent a three options letter. 

*-Generally, a small number of students are placed into interim housing which is temporary overflow housing used at the beginning of the semester.  These interim students are placed into permanent rooms that were determined to be open after the semester audit.  

About Campus and Missoula

What social activities are available on-campus?

There are many choices for activities on campus where you can interact with friends and meet new people. Around campus, many departments and clubs put together events and programs. In your halls, the Resident Assistant on your floor will provide multiple programs and 4 floor snacks each semester. These program topics can be a variety of things. These programs will be social to bond your floor, diverse, educational, teach you about health, and can help you get involved in The University and Missoula community. Make sure you look for advertisement around your hall for each program event. Additionally, the University Center provides all-campus programs for students. These vary from movies and comedy events to Prose & Poems and motivational speakers.

What is there to do around Missoula?

Missoula is a fun, diverse, and exciting community. There are so many wonderful opportunities this community offers to students. Many businesses offer student discounts with your Griz Card or allow you to use your UMoney at their locations. Feel free to enjoy activities such as ice skating, First Friday, Farmer's Market, many festivals and live bands in Caras Park, floating on the river, or just eating at great restaurants. To explore even more, please visit the Missoula Cultural Council Website.

Where may I park my car?

If you do decide to bring your car, parking lots are located throughout campus. If you park a car on campus, your vehicle must have a parking permit. You may purchase a parking permit by logging into Cyberbear. For more information on rates and designated parking areas, please visit the Office of Public Safety.
It is very easy to live on campus without a car.  The University of Montana and the Missoula community are pedestrian and bicyclist friendly.  The ASUM Transportation Office offers free bus service for students to the South Campus and Missoula College, as well as a downtown shuttle service in the evenings, Monday through Saturday.  In addition, the Mountain Line city bus services offer regular routes all over town!  In order to use these bus systems, you must have a valid Griz Card.