What should I do if I am sexually assaulted?

  1. Get help

    Get to a safe place. If you need emergency medical care, go to a hospital emergency room. If you need medical assistance, go to Curry Health Center (406-243-4330) on campus or call First STEP Resource Center at (406) 329-5776. UM’s Student Advocacy Resource Center (SARC) help line is available 24 hours a day at (406) 243-6559, as is the YWCA Pathways crisis line at (406) 542-1944 or (800) 483-7858.

  2. Report to police

    Call 9-1-1 or UMPD (emergency line 406-243-4000). Calling law enforcement does not obligate you to file a police report, although you may do so if you decide to. The police can provide immediate response for your protection, help you obtain medical care, and arrange a meeting for you with victim advocate services.

  3. Report to campus authorities

    Contact the Title IX Coordinator in the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (406-243-5710). To ensure your safety on campus, the University can rearrange class schedules, enforce no-contact orders, and/or pursue Title IX investigation proceedings. Even if you choose not to report an assault to law enforcement, you have the right to continue to pursue your education in an environment free from the effects of sexual violence, including any ongoing harassment.

    You may also tell a trusted faculty or staff member, who will work with the Title IX Coordinator to provide you with support and resources. All University employees, including student employees, are required to report information they receive about allegations of sex-based discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual misconduct involving students to the Title IX Coordinator within 24 hours of receiving the information.

    Reporting to campus authorities is not the same as reporting to the police; the university process is an administrative proceding, not a criminal proceding.

  4. Find support

    SARC and Counseling Services provide confidential on-campus support for victims of sexual harassment and sexual assault. Call (406) 243-6559 to schedule an appointment. YWCA Pathways can provide shelter and long-term support services for victims. The Crime Victim Advocate Office (406-830-3830 or 866-921-6995) provides free and confidential assistance to help you understand your options, even if you've chosen not to report to law enforcement. For academic assistance, contact the Dean of Students (406-243-6413).