UM Celebrates Academics On Charter Day
The new celebration of academics at UM is held in conjunction with UM’s Charter Day, an event marking the anniversary of the University’s founding 120 years ago. The annual Charter Day awards ceremony, which begins at 5:30 p.m. in the University Center Ballroom, will recognize exemplary campus and community members.
“Celebrate Academics on Charter Day” gives participants an opportunity to learn about the innovative ideas and work happening inside and outside the classroom by UM’s world-class faculty members and students.
Peter Schmidt, director of studies at Gill St. Bernard’s School in Gladstone, N.J., and recent winner of The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Build Your Own College” contest, will deliver a keynote address, titled “Climbing a Different Mountain,” about his work developing new models for higher education based on experiential learning.
The Chronicle of Higher Education recently quoted Schmidt, “When we have the opportunity to really learn something in depth, it becomes a part of us.”
All events are open to the public and the tentative schedule of events follows:
- 11:30 a.m.: Missoula College Energy Technology Program student presentations, University Center Atrium.
- Noon: Charter Day cupcakes and music student performance, UC Atrium.
- Noon: Fun with Food and Science, Molecular Gastronomy, Eating for Academic Performance and Stimulating your Brain, One Bite at a Time, Lommasson Center Food Zoo. (Public offered discount price of $6.25 for lunch at the Food Zoo).
- 12:30-2 p.m.: Health and Human Performance, study abroad and experiential learning student presentations, UC Atrium.
- 2:10 p.m.: Select UM classes open to the public, various locations.
- 2-3:30 p.m.: UM Insights: Professors Lee Banville, Leora Bar-El, Doug Emlen, Sarah Halvorson, Martin Horesji and Cara Nelson reflect on teaching, UC Rooms 326-327.
- 3:30 p.m.: Keynote Address: “Climbing a Different Mountain” by Peter Schmidt, UC Ballroom.
- 4:30 p.m.: Sneak preview of “Jumping into Fire: A Chinese Tale for All Ages,” a performance by Theatre & Dance students, UC Ballroom.
- 5:30 p.m.: Charter Day Celebration followed by a reception, UC Ballroom.
- 7:30 p.m.: Bandini-Chiachiaretta Duo, UM Music Recital Hall.
The annual Charter Day awards ceremony also is free and open to the public. Missoula Mayor John Engen will attend the awards ceremony to present an official proclamation of University of Montana Day. A reception will follow the ceremony.
UM Provost Perry Brown will preside over the presentation of 2013 Charter Day awards to the following recipients:
- Montana Alumni Award: David A. Bell
- Associated Students of UM Student Service Award: Sean McQuillan
- Robert T. Pantzer Presidential Humanitarian Award: Larry Gianchetta
- Neil S. Bucklew Presidential Service Award: Rockwood Brown
- Tom Boone Town and Gown Award: Denise J. Dowling
- Outstanding Volunteer Award: Dr. Herbert M. Swick
- Outstanding Service to the External Community Award: Janel Chaffee Queen
- John Ruffatto Memorial Award: Cameron Lawrence
- George M. Dennison Presidential Faculty Award for Distinguished Accomplishment: Joel T. Harper
- George M. Dennison Presidential Staff Award for Distinguished Accomplishment: Mary Kamensky
For more information about “Celebrate Academics on Charter Day” events, call Claudine Cellier, assistant to the provost, at 406-243-4689 or email firstname.lastname@example.org; or call Jay Kettering, UM Office of Alumni Relations on-campus events coordinator, at 406-243-6439 or email email@example.com.