For a printable Recycling Guide, Recycle Guide 2018.
PAPER can be recycled:
- White and pastel stationery, ledger, notebook, and computer paper
- Envelopes (opened only)
- Magazines and glossy paper: we sort them into separate bins
- Newspapers: separate bins
- Please bag shredded paper
- Leave cardboard between bins.
- Please flatten cardboard boxes yourself.
ALUMINUM & TIN CANS
- Aluminum cans
- Clean aluminum foil
- Tin cans-rinsed, but labels can remain
- Tin lids
PLASTIC what we can recycle:
- Recyclable rigid plastics #1-7
- Pease remove lids and rinse containers.
WHAT WE CAN'T RECYCLE
- #3, #7 and colored #2 plastics
Phone Books, Bound Books, Spiral Binders:
- Please leave these items next to the recycling bins.
NOT ACCEPTED: Please take notice of the items that we do not recycle at UM. IRemoving these items from teh recycling consumes much of the work crew's time and increases the cost of the recycling program.
- Flourescent Papers
- Astro-Brite Papers
- Unopened Junk Mail
- Coated Paper-wax, foil, fax
- Scotch Tape
- Kleenex/paper towels
- Paper and Styrofoam cups
- Non-plastic milk/juice cartons
UM sends all electronics to a reputable recycler, including cell phones. We collect all e-waste and Information Technology takes usable, spare parts. The e-waste is stored and then sent to a recycler twice a year. No e-waste is sent to the landfill. Please contact teh Work Order Desk at 406-243-6091 for pick up.
UM only recycles rechargeable batteries. Bag rechargeable batteries and leave them besides the bins. All other batteries need to be disposed of in the trash or recycled through an off campus program. A recommended program is Battery Solutions, Inc.
The custodial staff replaces all fluorescent light bulbs and brings the dead bulbs to UM Recycling to have them crushed and recycled. If you have compact fluorescent bulbs that you would like recycled, please contact the Work Order Desk at 406-243-6091 for pick. Do not leave light bulbs beside the bins.
Cell phones are considered e-waste. Cell phone providers often will accept old cell phones and reuse them. If you would like to dispose of your cell phone on campus, please leave it next to a recycling bin.
For more information about what can and cannot be recycled at UM, contact:
For an emergency or supplemental pick up, call the Work Order Desk at 406-243-6091.