Current Students

Important resources for graduate students

The Graduate School

The Graduate School manages admissions and graduation for all of the graduate programs at UM. They are a great source of information regarding academic policies. In addition to programmatic requirements for graduation, make sure to pay attention to the Graduate School's requirements! 

The Writing Center

The Writing Center provides invaluable help for students at any point during the writing process. They offer FREE one-to-one tutoring by appointment and on a drop-in basis. They will provide feedback on any writing task including research proposals and papers, literature reviews, speeches, thesis projects, and grant applications. They also offer workshops on specific types of writing and on the various parts of a writing process, including a Jump Start Disserations/Thesis Boot Camp and a five-part workshop series each semester.

Faculty Development Office Professional Development Workshops

The Faculty Development Office at UM offers a series of professional development workshops. They are designed for faculty but graduate students can sign up as well. They cover topics from teaching techniques to utilizing technology at UM and other topics in between and can be very useful for graduate students.

Curry Health Center

Curry Health Center provides quality, affordable, accessible health care for students at the University of Montana. They offer free or discounted medical and dental services for students who have paid the Health Service Fee (all full time students). They also offer affordable counseling as well as wellness services and have a conveniently located pharmacy. Taking care of your mind and body in graduate school is essential!

Student Health Insurance

Insurance is required for all students and a student plan is available through a Montana University System contract with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Montana, providing students an affordable and comprehensive insurance plan.  Here is a video describing the health insurance plan available to UM students.

Another option is to buy health insurance through the Marketplace.  Most graduate students are considered part-time employees and are thus eligible to access the Marketplace

Campus Recreation

Campus Recreation provides many opportunities for health and fitness at UM. Full time students pay the Campus Recreation Fee to use their services including a gym with a variety of cardio and weight machines, a functional training area, three multipurpose courts for basketball, volleyball or badminton, three group fitness classrooms, a squash court, seven racquetball/handball courts, and a climbing wall. They also offer discounted fitness classes and personal training. The Grizzly Pool offers lap swims, swimming lessons, and other water activities. Intramural Sports provides a great opportunity to take a break from academics. Finally, the Outdoor Program offers skills classes, guided outdoor adventures, and discounted equipment rental for students who have paid the Campus Recreation Fee. Take a break from the books and recreate! It is a must for surviving graduate school.

Mansfield Library

The Mansfield Library is a great resource for academic and other needs. The library staff are always helpful in locating tools and resources and you can talk to them online or in person. The library is full of tools to help you with your research, including access to various technology and equipment (computers, GoPro camera; Web Conference Kit; scanners; flash drives, portable dvd player, portable optical drive, TI-83 Plus calculator, typewriters, etc.). The library also offers numerous room options for studying or meetings. The Paw Print in the library offers printing and copying services. The One Button Studio is an intuitive video studio to practice presentations and create video content.

Student Advocacy Resource Center

The SARC provides advocacy, counseling, law & reporting assistance, and support at no cost to those who have experienced discrimination, harassment, stalking, retaliation, and sexual misconduct. It is located in room 108 at the Curry Health Center. 24-hour Support Line: 406-243-6559

Interdisciplinary Collaborative Network

The Interdisciplinary Collaborative Network (ICN) fosters educational and professional opportunities that traverse disciplines and promote graduate student success. ICN offers professional development seminars as well as a collaborative research grant and other opportunities to facilitate graduate student achievement across all disciplines. Check out their website for more information.

Free tax service

The IRS VOLUNTEER INCOME TAX ASSISTANCE PROGRAM offers free tax help to those with low-to-moderate income ($53,000 or less). Certified volunteers from the University of Montana receive training to help prepare basic tax returns in our community.
Gallagher Business Building, Room 209, Every Saturday beginning January 30 through March 7, 2016, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., First come, first served--no appointments available.

Disability Services

Disability Services for Students ensures that programs of the University of Montana are as accessible to and usable by students with disabilities as they are for any student. They determine a student's eligibility to request reasonable modifications and coordinate modifications for those who are registered with their office. 

The University Center

The University Center (UC) is the student union. The UC has a number of services including an art gallery, hi-tech study lounge, game room, theater, conferencing services, shipping and mail center, bank and ATM’s, copy center, full-service hair salon, bookstore, market, food court, and Griz Card Center.

ASUM Resources

The Associated Students of The University of Montana is the student government at UM and provides numerous services, primarily funded via student fees. These services include:

 Legal Services

ASUM Legal Services provides low cost professional legal advice and representation to students of the University of Montana.
Third year UM law student interns work under the supervision of licensed attorneys to provide advice and representation.

Off-Campus Renter Center

The ASUM Renter Center assists students in relations with their landlords, helps students find suitable housing, and employs the Neighborhood Ambassadors who act as liaisons between students and the community


Campus buses 

  • UDash is owned by ASUM and can be ridden to and from the University without a fee


  • Students may rent bikes from ASUM Transportation for $60 a semester or $100 for two semesters which includes a u-lock, helmet, bike lights, and maintenance for the duration of the rental


ASUM provides quality, accredited child care for over 100 faculty, staff, and students (children ages infant-6 years) and accepts the Best Beginnings Grant. Waiting lists are often long so it is best to apply as soon as possible.

Sustainability Center

The ASUM Sustainability Center offers a variety of ways for students to learn about sustainability initiatives and play an active role in improving the university's sustainability efforts.  We offer internships, volunteer opportunities, and educational events to increase awareness of sustainability issues on campus.


KBGA is UM's alternative radio station provided by the students of the University of Montana. There are opportunities to host or intern.


The Kaimin is the student newspaper found online and also printed weekly on Wednesday. 

UM Productions

Established in 1969, the mission of UM Productions is to bring quality entertainment to The University of Montana and the Missoula community focusing on diversity with a dedication to the arts. As a student-run, student-funded organization, UM Productions strives to provide students with learning opportunities and professional development in preparation for future success.

General Information 

Parking at UM

A parking permit or guest pass (see Visitor Parking) is required to park on the UM campus throughout the year, Monday - Friday 7 am - 5 pm.  Parking permits can request through Cyberbear. For more information, see the UMPD Parking Division website.

Paying for graduate school


Teaching assistants (TA) can be financially supported by the University and teach classes while research assistants (RA) are generally financially supported by external funding, i.e. via grants acquired by a faculty member and do research.

The University delineates between in-state and out-of-state students which may affect fee amounts associated with the University.  

In state/out-of-state requirements

If you’re enrolled in a Teaching Assistant (TA) graduate program, you’ll have to attend an orientation in the Fall.  

TA Orientation Schedule

Other TA resources

There are other opportunities to supplement your income, including becoming a Community Assistant (CA) for the University Villages.  This entails acting as a liaison between the University and student residents. 

Financial Aid Office

There are many sources of funding to support your graduate education. Check out the Financial Aid Office website for more information.

Scholarships and Grants

Rhodes Scholarship Opportunities for Graduate Students
Many graduate students may not realize that they are eligible to apply for a Rhodes Scholarship, which provides 2 years of funding to pursue a graduate degree at Oxford. The relevant eligibility criterion is that the applicant must be 23 years old (i.e., not yet 24) on October 1 of the year of application. Wherever you are in your graduate program here at UM, you would likely be able to apply and either complete your Master's before attending, or receive a deferment from your UM program to attend the program at Oxford. There are 95 Rhodes scholarships from 20 different countries; 32 of those scholarships are for students from the United States. The selection criteria focus on four areas: intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service; in the words of the Rhodes trust, they seek "leaders for the world’s future". Students should look closely at the graduate programs available at Oxford, as Rhodes Scholars must apply to work in a specific program. When you have found a good match, or have ideas about possible matches, please contact the UM Campus Representative for the Rhodes, Ashby Kinch (, to discuss the opportunity further. As the deadline is October 5, it is important to get in touch with him as soon as possible to ensure adequate time to work on your application materials, assemble letters of reference, and prepare a persuasive personal statement.

Research and Creative Scholarship fund

Funding is available from ASUM via a student fee for the purpose of conducting a research project, producing a creative work, travel to conduct research, travel to produce creative works, or travel to present research or creative works.

University of Montana Graduate Scholarships/Fellowships

Enrollment Status

Graduate students in degree programs must register for credits each Fall and Spring Semester (with exceptions including some distance learning programs or the School of Education where students may be registering primarily in the Summer). Students who step out of their graduate programs and who do not maintain continuous registration will be dropped from their program's roster and will need to petition their program and the Graduate School for readmission. For more information about this policy, see section B3.000 of the Graduate School Policies.

Full Time:  9 or more enrolled credits
1/2 Time:  6-8 enrolled credits
<1/2 Time:  5 or fewer enrolled credits
Not enrolled:  0 enrolled credits (withdrawn/graduated, etc.) 

The University of Montana provides the opportunity to apply as a Distance Education only student. Visit the website for more information. 

Student Conduct Code

The Student Conduct Code describes expected standards of behavior for all students, including academic conduct and general conduct, and it outlines students' rights, responsibilities, and the campus processes for adjudicating alleged violations.

Leave of absence

Graduate Students who are not continuously registered will be dropped from their programs.  If students are required to step out of their programs because of an emergency, they may petition for a leave of absence from their program by filling out a Request for Leave of Absence Form PDF.  See the Graduate School website for more information.