Charitable Giving Campaign

UM Gives: Charitable Giving Campaign

UM Employees Donate $94,928 to Local Nonprofits During Charitable Giving Campaign

Jan. 23, 2015

MISSOULA — More than 400 University of Montana employees recently participated in the 2014-15 Charitable Giving Campaign by donating $94,928 to local charitable organizations.

During the Charitable Giving Campaign, UM employees can make donations to various local organizations through one-time gifts or payroll deductions. The agencies selected to participate in the campaign are closely evaluated to ensure that all donations go directly to local services. This year 12 nonprofits and three nonprofit federations participated in the campaign at UM.

“Each year we are excited to run the campaign on campus and engage employees in giving back to the many organizations that meet important community needs,” said Andrea Vernon, chair of the 2014-15 campaign and director of UM’s Office for Civic Engagement. “The campaign is an important way to demonstrate our support, as a campus, of the important work that nonprofit organizations do in our community every day to help Missoula be a wonderful place to live and work.”

 The fundraising effort that became UM’s Charitable Giving Campaign began during the 1986-87 academic year when faculty and staff pledged $25,000. 

Nonprofits that wish to participate in the 2015-16 campaign can find an application available at in May 2015.

2014-15 Participating Agencies

The following agencies participated in the 2014-15 Charitable Giving Campaign. 

Missoula Developmental Service Corp.

Five Valleys Land Trust

Clark Fork Coalition

Habitat for Humanity

Missoula Children's Theatre

Humane Society of Western Montana

Children's Museum Missoula

Boy Scouts of America, Montana Council

Friends of Missoula Parks

Missoula Family YMCA

Planned Parenthood of Montana

United Way of Missoula County

Donors can direct contributions to the United Way of Missoula County federation and/or to any of their partner organizations listed below.

Big Brothers Big Sisters of Missoula
Child Care Resources
First STEP Resource Center
Flagship Program
Garden City Harvest
Human Resource Council
Missoula Aging Services
Missoula Food Bank
Mountain Home Montana
Partnership Health Center
Poverello Center
Tamarack Grief Resource Center
Watson Children's Shelter
WORD - Missoula
Youth Homes, Inc.

United Way of Ravalli County

Donors can direct contributions to the United Way of Ravalli County federation and/or to any of their partner organizations listed below.

SAFE Shelter
Bitterroot Ecological and Awareness Resources (BEAR)
Linda Massa Youth Home
Bitterroot CASA

Montana Shares

Donors can direct contributions to the Montana Shares federation and/or to any of their partner organizations listed below.

A.W.A.R.E., Inc.
Disability Rights Montana
ExplorationWorks! (CommunityWorks, Inc.)
Great Falls Community Food Bank, Inc.
Heart of the Valley, Inc.
Jeannette Rankin Peace Center
Lewis & Clark Humane Society
Komen Montana (Montana Affiliate of Susan G. Komen for the Cure)
Montana 4-H Foundation, Inc.
Montana Audubon
Montana Food Bank Network, Inc.
Montana Meth Project
Montana Wilderness Association, Inc.
NeighborWorks Montana (Montana Homeownership Network, Inc.)
Rural Employment Opportunities, Inc.
Student Assistance Foundation of Montana

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is the Charitable Giving Campaign at UM?
A: It’s an annual opportunity for UM employees to give back to the community by donating to local nonprofit charities that serve the Missoula area and beyond.

Q: How do I contribute?
A: UM uses an online donation system called iPledge to reduce paper waste and provide more contribution options for participants. To make an online contribution, visit You can donate by payroll contribution, credit card or e-check.

Q: How do I set up an account using the new online system?
A: Setting up an account using the online donation system is easy. Log on to The first time you visit, you will be asked to register. Step 1: Select your office or department from the list provided. Step 2: Enter your full name and your or email address, then create a user name and password. Once your account is created, you will reach the “Make a Pledge” page. Step 3: Enter your employee ID number (your 790 number), then select your pledge type and the agencies to which you would like to donate. Step 4: Once you have entered your donation amounts, click “Enter Pledge” at the bottom of the page. You’re done!

Q: What if I set up an account in the online system last year and don’t remember my login or password?
A: The iPledge system offers a login and/or password retrieval service for those who have forgotten their logins or passwords. Click “login,” then follow the prompts to retrieve your login and/or password. You will receive an email shortly with the information you need to login. Be sure to check your “junk mail” folder if you don’t receive your login/password right away.

Q: What email address should I use when I register to donate through iPledge?
A: For security reasons, UM employees should register using their official or email address.

Q: What if I need help using the online donation system?
A: For help using the online system, call University Relations at 406-243-2522.

Q: What if I want to donate using the paper form?
A: A limited number of paper pledge forms will be printed for those without computer access or who prefer the paper method. To obtain a paper pledge form, contact University Relations at 406-243-2522. Paper forms must be returned to University Relations, Brantly Hall Room 317, by Friday, Nov. 14.

Q: Is there a fee for making an online contribution using a credit card or an e-check?
A: Contributions made via credit card and e-check are subject to a fee of approximately 4 percent that will be subtracted from the amount the nonprofit agency receives. There is no fee for payroll contributions.

Q:  Under what name will the donation charges appear on my credit card statement?
A: Donations billed to your credit or debit card will appear on your statement as charges from “Community Shares” in Oregon.

Q: When does the Charitable Giving Campaign take place?
A: The 2014-15 Charitable Giving Campaign at UM kicks off Tuesday, Oct. 28. The campaign will close Friday, Nov. 14. All employees who wish to participate in the campaign are asked to submit their contributions by that date. If you opt for payroll deductions, those will take place during the 2015 calendar year.

Q: What if I want to cancel or change my donation after I have submitted it?
A: To cancel or change your donation, call University Relations at 406-243-2522.

Q: What if I have additional questions or need to request a disability-related accommodation?
A: Call Andrea Vernon, 2014-15 campaign chair, at 406-243-5159 or email