Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

Considering Withdrawal?

 The University of Montana



FAQ's for Medical Withdrawals

What qualifies for a medical withdrawal?

Medical Withdrawals are issued to students whose own overwhelming, unexpected health problems have significantly interfered with their ability to succeed academically.  

Can I keep my Blue Cross/Blue Shield Insurance if I take a medical withdrawal?

A Medical withdrawal allows a student the option to maintain the student Blue Cross / Blue Shield insurance coverage if withdrawing during the first 3 weeks of the semester. After the first 3 weeks of the semester, there is no refund option and the insurance coverage remains in effect for the semester.

I have a family member who is very ill and is in the hospital. Because of that, I have been unable to attend classes and/or keep up on my class work. Do I qualify to take a Medical withdrawal?

No. This situation is not related to the student's own health condition and therefore would not qualify as a medical withdrawal. That does not prevent a student from withdrawing however. This type of withdrawal would be handled through the registrar's office as a personal withdrawal. .

I have a chronic medical condition that is interfering with my academic performance this semester. Does this qualify for a medical withdrawal?

Students with chronic medical conditions can withdraw through the University of Montana's normal withdrawal process.

Additional information about Medical Withdrawals:

The medical hardship withdrawal process is not the appropriate venue to resolve or petition academic matters.  Such concerns must be addressed in the student's respective department, school or college.  In addition, the medical hardship withdrawal process is not an alternative means to drop classes after the normal drop date, to remove unwanted grades, or preclude resulting academic/financial aid actions (warning, probation, suspension, etc.)

What information do I need to apply for a Medical Withdrawal?

The student must provide the withdrawal coordinator at Curry Health Center with the following information for evaluation:

  • If seen at the Curry Health Center as a client, documentation from visits within the Curry Health Center will be available for evaluation.
  • If the student was seen by an off-campus physician/medical provider or counselor, they must arrange for:

    1. documentation of diagnosis and visits dates;
    2. any other pertinent information that the client feels is helpful to documenting his/her situation.
    3. records of hospitalization, inpatient or outpatient, mental health treatment, inpatient or outpatient drug treatment referral.

Ask Us!!

Withdrawal Coordinators

Matt Filer
Registrar's Office (EL 201)
Joneal Szwedkowicz
Business Services (EL 254)
Registrar's Office