Who We Are and What We Do
Writing and Public Speaking Center Mission Statement
The Writing and Public Speaking Center supports undergraduate students, graduate students, alumni, faculty, and staff as they become more versatile, deliberate, and effective communicators. We provide an interdisciplinary, collaborative learning environment for all members of our community to grow as they work on a wide variety of academic, professional, and creative communication tasks.
Writing and Public Speaking Center Values
At the Writing and Public Speaking Center, we recognize the potential for all people to learn, change, and have an impact, and we believe that collaborative learning best promotes this type of growth. Our values, which align with the University of Montana’s strategic vision principles, provide a framework for our daily behaviors.
We work and learn across disciplinary and institutional boundaries.
We provide all students access to education at every phase of their learning.
We respect the courage it takes to share one’s work with others.
We value, seek, and rely on diversity in all its forms, including linguistic diversity.
Innovation and Creativity
We believe in the capacity for all people to learn, develop, and change.
We take a reflective stance, using assessment as a tool for meaningful adjustment.
We celebrate risk taking and experimentation, both in student learning and in our approaches to supporting students.
We view partnerships—with students, faculty, staff, and community—as a critical tool for cultivating positive change.
We listen to and learn from others.
We transform communicators and are transformed in return.
We perform work that matters for UM, for our community, and for Montana.
We act as a critical campus hub for knowledge creation and communication.
We offer students:
- FREE one-to-one writing and public speaking tutoring (available on a by-appointment and drop-in basis)
- Guidance interpreting assignments
- Reader feedback on any communication task, including research proposals and papers, response papers, reports, literature reviews, speeches, scholarship applications, graduate school applications, thesis projects, presentations, etc.
- Help developing strategies for revision at any stage of a writing or presentation planning process
- Workshops on specific types of writing and on the various parts of a writing process
- Assistance building strategies for timed writing situations
- Strategies for effective delivery of presentations
We offer faculty:
- In-class orientations to The Writing and Public Speaking Center
- In-class workshops tailored to specific courses and assignments
- Consultations on writing assignment design and on providing freedback to students
- Ideas for incorporating writing – both graded and non-graded – into courses
- Faculty workshops on using writing to enhance student learning in any course
- Support for your own writing and presentations