Conditional Admission

Students who want to enroll in a UM bachelor degree program but do not meet the minimum requirement for Full or Pathway Admission, or do not have an English language test score are eligible to apply for conditional admission. UM offers intensive academic English training for conditionally admitted students at UM's English Language Institute (ELI).

Conditionally admitted students must receive the required English language proficiency score on one of the tests UM accepts or a recommendation from UM's English Language Institute before they can begin their undergraduate studies.

iTEP English Proficiency Exam

Students with conditional admission to UM now have the option to sit for the iTEP English Proficiency Exam during orientation week.  Depending on the score they receive, students may have a chance to move into Pathway or  Full Admission status in their first semester.  See iTEP English Proficiency Test for more information.

Applications Steps

1. Complete an online application
2. Pay the application fee
3. Submit required application documents

You can also download our International Admissions Checklist to help you submit all required documents.


By submitting your application early there will be plenty of time to request test results and academic records as well as apply for a student visa.

A completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the following dates:

Fall Semester: June 15

Spring Semester: November 15


All international applicants must submit a Certificate of Financial Responsibility, which is required before UM can admit a student and issue an I-20. Any international student seeking to enroll at UM must show sufficient funds to cover expenses for one academic year (see the chart below).

The following numbers are based on estimated costs of attendance and are subject to change.

Academic Year Expenses 
Tuition & Fees* $27,478
Living Expenses** $14,595
TOTAL $42,073

*Fees includes $1100 for books and supplies. Tuition & Fees for classes taken at the English Language Institute (ELI) and Missoula College are calculated differently. Please see Missoula College COA (Out of State)  and ELI Tuition and Fees for more information. 

**Living Expenses reflects the cost of living in the residence halls with a double occupancy dorm room and a Food Zoo plus meal plan ($9840) and UM student insurance ($4755).


International Student Scholarship

Fully admitted undergraduate international students will be automatically considered for the International Student Scholarship at the time of application. No additional application is required.

To be eligible, students must be seeking their first bachelor's degree and must not be receiving full tuition support through an external scholarship program.

Additional Scholarship Opportunities

The Davidson Honors College Presidential Leadership Scholarship
The Presidential Leadership Scholarship is the University of Montana's premier academic scholarship, recognizing outstanding talent, academic performance, and contribution to the community. Freshmen who wish to apply for the Davidson Honors College Presidential Leadership Scholarship must complete the Davidson Honors College (DHC) Application form by December 4.

For more information, please refer to The Davidson Honors College website.

Academic Department Scholarships
Many of UM's academic departments award scholarships to exceptionally talented students.  You are encouraged to contact the department of interest by January to find out more about the scholarships and application process or, when available look and apply for departmental scholarships online.  Learn more about UM Departmental Scholarships.

Online Application

Application fee

A non-refundable US$30 application fee is paid online with a credit card when you submit the application. 

You can pay online after you submit the online application
OR you can mail a check or a money order with your documents. 
Checks and/or money orders should be made payable to the University of Montana.

Academic Records

To be eligible for admission, freshman students must have the equivalent of a 2.5 GPA. Transfer students must have the equivalent of a 2.0 GPA.  UM Undergraduate Admissions will calculate the GPA when we evaluate a student's educational records. 

General Requirements

Submit official* transcripts, academic records, diplomas, national examination results, certificates or degrees received from all secondary, post-secondary, university and/or professional schools. 

All academic records must be in the original language accompanied by an English translation.  The applicant may make the translation themselves.  

* Academic records are considered official when they are issued directly by the school, educational bureau or ministry, sealed in an official school envelope and signed or stamped across the back flap by the school registrar or other appropriate education official.  To submit the academic records students can: 1) request the school or education bureau send the academic records directly to University of Montana or 2) send the records themselves as long as they remain sealed in the original envelope.  Please send official academic records by regular mail to:

University of Montana
Undergraduate International Admission
101 Lommasson Center
Missoula, MT 59812 USA

The University of Montana reserves the right to require further verification of all transcripts and academic records submitted by students.

Country-specific Requirements

If you have completed study in one of the following countries, please see the link(s) below for specific instructions on submitting academic records:

Financial Information

Complete the Certificate of Financial Responsibility within the application. 

Submit a financial statement in the name of the sponsor indicated on the certificate of financial responsibility in the application that covers one year of your costs at UM. The statement must be dated within the last six (6) months.

Your application will not be considered complete until the Certificate of Financial Responsibility is completed and accompanied by an official bank statement.

Copy of passport

Submit a copy of the information page in your valid passport.

Transfer Student from a US University

In addition to the steps above applicants must submit a completed Transfer Form