To be considered for undergraduate admission to University of Montana, all international applicants must demonstrate English proficiency by submitting a score on an approved test or by qualifying for an exemption.
Tests and Scores
UM Undergraduate Admissions recognizes the following English proficiency tests. To meet the English proficiency requirement for each admission type, an applicant's test result needs to meet or exceed the posted minimum. Applicants who have test scores below the minimum requirement for Pathway Program Admission may be eligible for Conditional Admission.
Pathway Program Admission
|TOEFL iBT and At-Home Edition*
*Including MyBest™ scores
Univ. of Montana code: 4489
|Duolingo English Test (DET)||100||80|
|SAT (Writing & Language section)||25||-|
|ACT (Writing section)||07||-|
|ACT (English Language Assessment)||18||-|
|UM English Language Institute||525 TOEFL ITP or a recommendation from UM ELI||-|
|ELS Language Center||Sucessful completion of Program Level 112||-|
|Kaplan International||Successful completion of Higher Intermediate Level||-|
|English Language Centres||Successful completion of Level 11||-|
|Education First (EF)||Successful completion of C1-1||-|
Official exam results should be ordered through the testing body or center and sent directly to:
University of Montana Undergraduate Admissions
32 Campus Dr., Lommasson Center 101
Missoula, MT 59812 USA
Applicants who are citizens of the following countries need not submit proof of English language proficiency unless English is not the applicant's native language: Australia, Canada (except Québec), Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, Commonwealth Caribbean and South Africa.
Exemptions to the English proficiency testing requirement may be considered for applicants who can demonstrate any one of the following:
- Native language is English;
- Two or more years of attendance at an institution of higher education where English is the primary language of instruction;
- Completed an English composition course with a grade of "C-" or better from a U.S. college or university (online courses are not accepted).
- Completed 3+ years of secondary school with full English-medium instruction and have achieved a C or higher on the IGCSE English exam OR on A-level English exam
- Achieved a score of 4 or higher on the IB HL Language A: English Language and Literature or IB Language A: English Literature exam
- Achieved a score of 3 or higher on the AP English Language and Composition exam
- Completed 3+ years of secondary school with English-medium instruction in the following countries AND who have achieved a B3 or higher on the West African Senior Secondary Certificate Examination or a B or higher on the national GCE examination:
- The Gambia
- Sierra Leone
NOTE: Students requesting one of the above exemptions must provide official transcripts for admission. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions reserves the right to request students submit additional proof of English proficiency, even if they are eligible for an exemption.
For all questions about English proficiency requirements and exemptions, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions office at email@example.com.