Financial Documents for I-20

University of Montana collects financial support documentation before issuing the Certificate of Eligibility for Non-Immigrant Student Status (I-20).  The I-20 is the form you will use to apply for a U.S. study visa.

An I-20 application is considered complete when we have received the following:

  • I-20 Application Form
  • Certificate of Financial Responsibility
  • Supporting financial documentation showing availability of funds to cover the cost of attendance for one year of study at UM. Please see Expenses for the I-20 for information.
  • Copy of your government ID or passport

On all documentation and correspondence with University of Montana, please indicate your name as it appears on your passport, your UM ID and your date of birth in mm/dd/yyyy format.

I-20 Application Form

The I-20 Application is an online form that will be available from your admission portal once you have been admitted to UM.

Please use this form to upload all related I-20 documentation to guarantee timely processing of your application. Once your application and documentation are received, we will strive to process your application as quickly as possible.

Certificate of Financial Responsibility

All applications for an I-20 must include a completed Certificate of Financial Responsibility. This form indicates to us that you and/or your sponsors understand the financial responsibilities you assume for attending University of Montana. You and/or your sponsors will be asked to submit bank or financial statements as evidence to support your financial plan for study.

Please pay attention to the following:

  • Applicant must sign and date
  • Each anticipated source of support must be listed with the amounts in U.S. dollars
  • Sources of income must add up to the total cost of attendance for one academic year listed on Expenses for the I-20
  • Sponsor(s) must sign and date.  If you have multiple sponsors, each sponsor must submit a separate form with signature.
  • If applicable, dependent information must be listed.

Bank statement(s) or bank letter

• All statements must be in English and account holder name romanized (English alphabet). Unofficial translations are acceptable.

• Must be dated within the past 6 months at the time of submission.

• Bank statement or letter must include the following information:

  • bank letterhead or name of bank
  • name of account holder
  • date
  • account balance
  • type of currency
  • type of account (e.g. savings, checking)

• Account must be liquid assets that can easily be converted to cash (e.g. Cash, Savings, or CD with maturity date on or before start of enrollment at UM). If there are cash funds included in an investment portfolio, the statement must clearly indicate how much is in liquid funds.

Loan certificates/letters

• Must be on student aid or bank letterhead

• Must indicate student name and the amount of the approved loan

• Conditional loan approvals may be accepted only if the condition is the receipt of the I-20

• Loan applications are NOT accepted as proof of funding

• Date of Issuance

NOT acceptable as proof of cash availability:

• Investment accounts (e.g. stocks, bonds, real estate)

• Property or solvency statements

• Retirement accounts/Pension funds

• Documents older than 6 months

• Funds not immediately accessible

• Life insurance policies

• Tax return forms or documents