Full Admission

Students who meet the academic and English language proficiency requirements are eligible to apply for full admission. We accept both freshman and transfer students for the fall or spring semesters.

Applications Steps

1. Complete an online application
2. Pay the application fee
3. Submit required application documents

You can also download our International Admissions Checklist to help you submit all required materials.


By submitting your application early there will be plenty of time to request test results and academic records as well as apply for a student visa.

A completed application and all supporting documents must be received by the following dates:

Fall Semester: June 15

Spring Semester: November 15


For detailed information on estimated costs of attendance, please see Expenses and Scholarships


University of Montana Academic Achievement Scholarship (UMAAS)

International students who are fully admitted to University of Montana four-year undergraduate degree programs are considered automatically for our non-resident UM Academic Achievment Scholarships (UMAAS). Students are considered for these scholarships at the time of admission; there is no separate application. For more information on scholarship eligibility, please visit the Office of Financial Aid Scholarships web page.

Additional Scholarship Opportunities

The Davidson Honors College Presidential Leadership Scholarship
The Presidential Leadership Scholarship is the University of Montana's premier academic scholarship, recognizing outstanding talent, academic performance, and contribution to the community. Freshmen who wish to apply for the Davidson Honors College Presidential Leadership Scholarship must complete the Davidson Honors College (DHC) Application form by the first Friday in December.

For more information, please refer to The Davidson Honors College website.

Academic Department Scholarships
Many of UM's academic departments award scholarships to exceptionally talented students.  You are encouraged to contact the department of interest by January to find out more about the scholarships and application process or, when available look and apply for departmental scholarships online.  Learn more about UM Departmental Scholarships.

Intercollegiate Athletic Scholarships
If you are interested in becoming a student-athlete at the University of Montana, please contact the relevant sport in the Athletic Department.

Online Application

Application fee

A non-refundable US$30 application fee is paid online with a credit card when you submit the application. 

You can pay online after you submit the online application; OR you can mail a check or a money order with your documents. 

Checks and/or money orders should be made payable to the University of Montana.

English language proficiency requirements

Proficiency in English for study at the undergraduate level must be demonstrated by one of the following:

English Language Test     Score Requirement
TOEFL iBT and At-Home Edition
(Univ. of Montana code: 4489)
70 or higher including MyBest™ scores
TOEFL PBT 525 or higher
IELTS Academic 6.0 or higher
Cambridge English 180
Duolingo English Test (DET) 100
iTEP 3.8
PTE Academics 48
MELAB 74 or higher
SAT - Writing and Language 25
ACT - Writing 07
ACT - ELA (English Language Assessment) 18
EIKEN Grade Pre-1
UM English Language Institute 525 TOEFL ITP or a recommendation from UM English Language Institute   
ELS Language Center Successful Completion of Program Level 112
Kaplan International Successful Completion of Higher Intermediate Level
English Language Centres Successful Completion of Level 11
Education First (EF) Successful Completion of C1-1

Test scores must be ordered directly from the testing center and sent to:

University of Montana Undergraduate Admissions
32 Campus Dr.
Lommasson Center 101
Missoula, MT 59812 USA

Applicants transferring from a U.S. University or College may fulfill the English language requirement by completing a college-level English composition course with a grade of 'C-' or better. Online courses are cannot be accepted as proof of English language proficiency.


The following countries are exempted from submitting a test of English proficiency:
Australia, Belize, Bermuda, British West Indies, Canada (except Quebec), Commonwealth Caribbean, Guyana, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa and United Kingdom

International applicants who have attended and graduated from an American High School or American High School curriculum may be exempt from the English language proficiency requirement.

Permanent Residents/Green Card Holders are required to take and meet the SAT or ACT general admissions requirements. These requirements can be found on the General Admissions website. (Due to extenuating circumstances surrounding COVID-19 and by special exemption from the Montana Board of Regents, ACT/SAT test scores will not be required for admission to the University of Montana until September 1, 2021.)

Academic Records

International applicants will need to submit copies of their academic transcripts and degree certificates (if applicable) to be considered for admission. Visit the Academic Records page for more information.

Financial Information

For detailed guidance on acceptable evidence of financial resources for the I-20 (Certificate of Non-Immigrant Student Status), please see Financial Documents for the I-20.

Copy of passport

Submit a copy of the information page in your valid passport. The passport should have validity for the duration of your study in the U.S.

Transfer Student from a US University

In addition to the steps above applicants must submit a completed Transfer form