Next Steps for Missoula College Students

Congratulations you on your acceptance to Missoula College of the University of Montana. There are a few steps that need to be completed prior to you enrolling as an incoming freshman at Missoula College.

  • Notify your high school of your acceptance to University of Montana as you will need an official High School Transcript with graduation date posted sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office after you graduate.
  • If you are currently taking college level credits through an institution of higher education, notify them that you have been accepted to University of Montana and will need to have an official college transcript be sent in after you have completed your coursework.
  • If you have taken the HiSET or GED please have the official score report sent directly to us.

Transcript should be mailed to:

Undergraduate Admissions Office
Gilkey Center
University of Montana
Missoula, MT 59812

ACT/SAT test scores are not required for admission to the University of Montana. They are encouraged, however, and can be used to assist with course placement.

  • If you have taken AP, IB, or CLEP exams, ensure that you have requested that those scores be sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office so we can award you college credit. For more information about how advance credits transfer.

Log in to Bear Tracks to find your Net ID and Student ID (this link uses the same username and password as your application).

Log in to UMConnect
, your student email account, and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana. This includes everything from information about registration, tuition and fee notification, and urgent announcements. This is an important step, as we will send you multiple important emails throughout the pre-orientation process.

To log into your UMConnect account, you will need your NetID.

Your Net ID initial password will be the last six digits of your student ID number (which begins with 790) and it is included on your acceptance letter.

If you want to be considered for a departmental scholarship, please complete the General Application in the UM Scholarship Portal. Application deadlines vary by department and/or opportunity.

To be considered for the maximum amount of aid, please submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If that is not possible, please submit your FAFSA as soon as possible as aid is awarded on a first come first serve basis. Our FAFSA code is 002536.

UM Housing provides positive, safe and inclusive living environments which are an important part of your experience at the University of Montana.

  • Housing information was mailed to you in your acceptance packet.
  • Housing is assigned first come-first serve. $200 of your prepayment is refundable until June 1 if you do not enroll at UM fall semester.
  • To check your room assignment once assignments have been made please log back into the Residence Life Online portal.
  • We provide housing options for students with spouses and/or dependents. For more information, visit the University Villages web page, or call (406) 243-6063.
  • For more information, visit UM Housing or call (406) 243-2611.

Note: Living on campus is required for all incoming freshmen as we believe it is integral to your success at UM. If you would like to request to live off campus you may submit a residency release form.

*Distance-only students excluded

As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:

  • two (2) immunizations for Rubella and
  • two (2) immunizations for Rubeola

You must submit verifiable documentation of your immunizations. You can submit immunization information online through Bear Tracks, UM's admitted student portal. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call (406) 243-2122.


The University of Montana requires all students (registered for 6 or more state supported on campus credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. If you are not covered under an existing private insurance plan that covers you while you are in school. UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and has resources for other coverage options as well.   *NOTE-Your home state medical assistance is not a private plan.

Please, log into your CyberBear account to make your insurance selection. When making your selection, please be sure to read the screens completely. There is a specific state requirement if you are receiving Montana Medicaid/HELP/Healthy Montana Kids PLUS. Failure to comply with the requirement could result in the loss of your state medical coverage.

For more information, contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844,, or visit the insurance section of the Curry Health Center web page.

As a new first-year student you are required to complete your self-paced, online New Student Orientation. In addition to completing New Student Orientation online, all traditional-aged first-year students are expected to attend our in-person week of welcome - the Big Sky Experience! You will connect with your peers, get to know the campus and Missoula and learn how to succeed as a student at UM.

Students beginning in the spring term will simply complete the self-paced, online New Student Orientation.

You will learn more about Course Registration through the Orientation process. Please keep an eye on your official Missoula College email for more information about course registration.

The University of Montana offers many opportunities for student employment. Handshake, University of Montana's student employment website is designed to allow you to search and apply online for part-time on and off-campus, work-study, non-work-study and volunteer positions.

Experiential Learning and Career Success provides students with comprehensive services and coordination of the internship process.

You can meet with a Career Counselor to discuss your major and career options, resumes, job search, interviewing, etc. Together you can decide what next steps are best for you.

Celebrate! Feel free to share how you celebrate that you are now part of Griz Nation by including us in your celebration through #Montanabound