Next Steps for Transfer Students

Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Montana. Here are a few steps you need to take before enrolling as an incoming transfer student at UM.

Submit official college/university transcript(s) from all institutions of higher education that you have attended.

Transcript should be mailed to:

Undergraduate Admissions Office
University of Montana
Gilkey Building
950 Arthur Avenue
Missoula, MT 59812

or ordered through a secure transcript delivery service (National Student Clearinghouse, Parchment,

Please note: Unofficial emailed, mailed, uploaded or faxed transcripts sent from students or parents cannot be accepted.

If you have taken AP, IB, or CLEP exams, ensure that you have requested that those scores be sent to the Undergraduate Admissions Office so we can award you college credit. For more information about how advance credits transfer.

Log in to Bear Tracks to find your Net ID and Student ID
(psst. this link uses the same username and password as your application)

Log in to UMConnect
, your student email account, and check it regularly. UMConnect serves as the official means of communication between students and the University of Montana. This includes everything from information about registration, tuition and fee notification, and urgent announcements. This is an important step, as we will send you multiple important emails throughout the pre-orientation process.

To log into your UMConnect account, you will need your Net ID.

Your Net ID initial password will be the last six digits of your student ID number (which begins with 790) and it is included on your acceptance letter.

Congratulations! You already applied for incoming merit based scholarships when you applied for admission. You can expect to hear back about your scholarship award in the next few weeks, if you haven’t heard already. To see what you qualified for prior to receiving your award letter please visit our scholarships page.

If you want to be considered for a departmental scholarship, please complete the General Application in the UM Scholarship Portal. Application deadlines vary by department and/or opportunity.

To be considered for the maximum amount of aid, please submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by Dec. 1. If that is not possible, please submit your FAFSA as soon as possible as aid is awarded on a first come first serve basis. Our FAFSA code is 002536.

The UM Housing Office provides positive, safe, and inclusive living environments which are an important part of your experience at the University of Montana. In October, the application will become available for both the following Fall and Spring.

  • Housing information was mailed to you in your acceptance packet.
  • In the Residence Halls, housing is assigned first come-first serve. A prepayment of $200 is required at the time of application and housing cancellation information is available on the UM Housing website.
  • To check your room assignment once assignments have been made please log back into the myHousingPortal.
  • We provide housing options for upper-class students. For more information, visit the Lewis & Clark Village web page, or call (406) 552-3409.
  • We provide housing options for students with spouses and/or dependents. For more information, visit the University Villages website, or call (406) 243-6063.
  • For more information, visit UM Housing or call (406) 243-2611.

The Davidson Honors College provides outstanding undergraduate students with extraordinary educational and cultural opportunities. Honors College students enroll in challenging courses and participate in special experiences outside the classroom that enhance the regular offerings and activities of the University. The Honors College is open to students in any academic major, and offers the intensive learning environment of a small liberal arts and sciences college within a larger research university.

To learn more visit the Davidson Honors College.

*Distance-only students excluded

As you prepare to attend UM, we want to make you aware of the state of Montana immunization requirements:

  • two (2) immunizations for Rubella and
  • two (2) immunizations for Rubeola

You must submit verifiable documentation of your immunizations. You can submit immunization information online. Please submit these documents as soon as possible to ensure a smooth transition to UM. For more information please contact Curry Health Center or call (406) 243-2122.


The University of Montana requires all students (registered for 6 or more state supported on campus credits) to have and to maintain medical coverage while attending the University. If you are not covered under an existing private insurance plan that covers you while you are in school. UM offers an optional insurance plan through Blue Cross Blue Shield, and has resources for other coverage options as well.   *NOTE-Your home state medical assistance is not a private plan.

Please, log into your Cyberbear account to make your insurance selection. When making your selection, please be sure to read the screens completely. There is a specific state requirement if you are receiving Montana Medicaid/HELP/Healthy Montana Kids PLUS. Failure to comply with the requirement could result in the loss of your state medical coverage.

For more information, contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844,, or visit the insurance section of the Curry Health Center web page.

As a transfer student, you are required to complete your self-paced, online New Student Orientation.

In addition to completing New Student Orientation online, transfer students are invited to attend our in-person week of welcome - the Big Sky Experience! You will connect with your peers, get to know the campus and Missoula and learn how to succeed at UM.

Learn more about New Student Orientation and the 2023 Big Sky Experience

During the registration times you will be empowered to connect with your academic advisor through either the online or in-person Orientation at which point they will provide you an advising PIN so you can register for your classes.

The University of Montana offers many opportunities for student employment. The Student Employment website is designed to allow for you to search and apply online for part-time on and off campus work study, non-work study and volunteer positions.

Internship Services provides students with comprehensive services and coordination of the internship process.

You can meet with a Career Counselor to discuss your major and career options, resumes, job search, interviewing, etc. Together you can decide what next steps are best for you.

Celebrate! Feel free to share how you celebrate that you are now part of Griz Nation by including us in your celebration through #Montanabound