Freshmen students: Submission of an official high school transcript showing confirmed graduation date is required upon enrollment at University of Montana.

Transfer students: Submission of official transcripts issued from every regionally accredited institution a student previously attended are required for an application’s review, regardless of whether credit was earned or its applicability to your degree plan at UM. Upon enrollment at University of Montana, a final official transcript will be required showing grades for any transfer coursework that was in progress at the time of admission.

Request that official transcripts be sent directly from the institution to:

Postal Address:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
University of Montana
Gilkey Building
950 Arthur Ave.
Missoula MT 59812

Official transcripts can either be sent via postal mail or electronically (e-transcript) through a transcript clearinghouse like Parchment, Docufide, National Student Clearinghouse, Credentials, etc. When ordering an e-transcript, please provide as the Univeristy of Montana contact address.

Please note that all faxed, emailed, or scanned transcripts are considered unofficial. However, those faxed directly from another Montana University System in-state institution with a macro-fax stamp are accepted as official.


Official Transcript Definition

An official transcript is a complete representation of a student’s academic record. It includes all courses attempted, including those withdrawn from and those repeated. It also includes a summary of all transfer credits previously accepted.  Academic work completed at different levels (high school, vocational, undergraduate, post-baccalaureate, graduate) is listed on separate transcripts with a separate GPA. Once a student graduates with their degree, that transcript is considered sealed and may not be updated. No additional credentials may be added to the transcript. All subsequent university coursework will appear on a post-baccalaureate or graduate transcript.

An official transcript is one that has been received directly by UM from the issuing school. Official transcripts are printed on official transcript paper. It must bear the embossed or raised college seal, date and the Registrar's signature. Electronic transcripts are considered official if delivered securely through an organization authorized by UM. Transcripts received that do not meet these requirements are not considered official and will not be accepted for permanent admissions and evaluation use.

Official transcripts are provided in a sealed envelope with the registrar's signature stamped across the seal. Paper copies should remain in the unopened, sealed envelope until it is presented to University of Montana.

Unofficial Transcript Definition

Transcripts that have been in the hands of the student such as student copy/unofficial transcripts are not considered official. Unofficial transcripts are printed on plain paper and do not have a school seal or registrar's signature. Unofficial transcripts cannot be used to transfer to another college or university or to complete an application file. Email is not a secure delivery method and transcripts submitted via email are automatically considered unofficial.

Unofficial transcripts are issued for use by the student only.