Transfer Credit Evaluation

All college-level credits earned at regionally accredited colleges or universities will be considered for transfer. Enrollment Services-Admissions determines whether or not courses are college level, the appropriate grading and credit conversion, and the applicability of transfer credit toward UM's general education requirements. Only admitted students will receive an official credit evaluation. Courses that do not have an equivalent at UM will be accepted as elective credit. Credits from remedial, technical, or continuing education courses or from non-accredited schools are not accepted for transfer. Transfer courses taken for quarter credit will be converted to semester credits upon evaluation (quarter units divided by 1.5 = semester units). 

UM accepts Associate of Arts (AA) and Associate of Science (AS) degrees from US colleges and universities accredited by regional accrediting agencies recognized by the US Department of Education. A completed AA or AS degree satisfies UM’s lower-division General Education requirements; students must still complete the advanced writing course and are encouraged to explore lower-division language courses to enhance their major.  Since Associate of Applied Science (AAS) Degrees focus on technical skills, the degree does not necessarily satisfy all lower-division General Education requirements at UM.

An evaluation will not be done for students who have previously earned a U.S. baccalaureate degree. General Education requirements are considered complete for these students.

Per BOR 301.5, students have the right to appeal their official evaluation by contacting the Admissions Office. If a student exercises the appeal rights set out in this policy, the review and a final decision must be completed by the class pre-registration date for the following academic term.  The student must initiate the appeal process, in a timely manner, in order to give the institution time to complete its review before the deadline described in the preceding sentence.

See how your credits transfer

The Transferology tool allows you to see how courses can transfer to the University of Montana. Create an account, add courses and exams you've taken, and search for matches. You'll see a matching/maybe percentage of how your previous courses and exams may transfer to UM. If a course is not in the database, submit those courses using the "Request Information" button, and we will evaluate the maybes for you. Transferology can be especially helpful for current students looking to transfer classes back to UM to meet program requirements.

Learn more about how to use Transferology.

Note: The contents of this tool are subject to change and course equivalencies are contingent upon the academic program and the general education requirements of the University of Montana. If a course or institution is not listed, it does not necessarily mean the course will not transfer, rather the information is not yet in our database. 

Class Standing

A student’s class standing is determined by the total number of transfer credits awarded by the UM, not by years of college study or by the completion of an associate degree.

Class Standing via Transfer Credits
Class Awarded Credits Needed
Freshman 0 – 29 semester credits
Sophomore 30 – 59 semester credits
Junior 60 – 89 semester credits
Senior 90+ semester credits

Satisfying UM graduation requirements depends not only on the number of credits completed- a minimum of 120 for most programs- but also on completing all general education and major requirements.