There are a number of services that we provide to students. We offer counseling on a one-on-one basis. We help students understand their rights under the Montana Landlord-Tenant Act. We draft greivance and protest letters when appropriate. We also connect students with other community resources that can meet their individual needs. If you are unable to resolve a conflict with our assistance, we can then refer you to ASUM Legal Services, which offers expert legal advice and can even represent you in court. Among our services, we ...
- Offer FREE student renter counseling with a highly trained staff member and assistance from Legal Services;
- Manage the Neighborhood Ambassador Program with 10 paid student ambassadors that serve as liaisons between student renters and homeowners in the neighborhoods bordering our campus;
- Create renter education campaigns on campus, in the community, and in the residence halls where around 75% of first-year students will move off-campus after their first year;
- Write new legislation to be added to the Montana Residential Tenant and Landlord Act to further protect renters;
- Manage the UM Housing Finder to provide a safer housing search engine for UM students;
- Manage the Landlord Review Website to provide students with a venue to post and search student reviews of their expereiences with local landlords and property management companies;
- Recruit and work with the Student Housing Board to give students opportunities to build leadership and political experience while guiding the ASUM Renter Center in its mission;
- Maintain & build professional relationships with local non-profits advocating for housing rights, lawyers, community members, and property management companies;
- Coordinate the annual Housing & Community Resources Fair every spring to provide a one-stop shop for students to meet all of their off-campus needs.
The ASUM Renter Center is a service provided to students by ASUM and the UM Office of Student Affairs. Therefore, our personalized counseling services and some of our online offerings are only available to current University of Montana students. Non-students are welcome to use the majority of our online resources adn are encouraged to contact Montana Legal Services or Homeword with their rental questions and concerns.