Missoula City Ordinances that Renters Need to Know
When moving to a new community, it is important that you learn the rules that you will be expected to follow once you move in. The City Ordinances listed below are those that students most commonly violate:
NOISE ( Missoula Municipal Code 9.30.040. )
- Quiet hours begin at 10:00pm daily.
- Sound levels of noise should not radiate to a distance of 25 feet or more from a source.
- Penalty: fines up to $300.00
SNOW SHOVELING (Missoula Municipal Code 12.16.030)
- Walks are to be shoveled by 9am on the day after a snowfall
- Residents should also remedy ice and slush by using deicers such as calcium chloride (environmentally friendly).
- On weekends and holidays you have until 12pm noon.
- **Note that your landlord is responsible for shoveling, unless it is clearly stated on your lease otherwise. **
- Penalty: minimum fine of $64.00
- It is the duty of the current resident to keep property free of litter, rubbish, and garbage.
- This requirement applies not only to loose litter but also to materials that already are or become trapped at such locations as fence, wall bases, grassy and planked areas, and other lodging points.
- Penalty: fines up to $500.00 for each offense
PARKED CARS ( Missoula Municipal Code 10.22.060)
- You cannot park a car on a public street or alley for more than a consecutive period of 120 hours, or 5 days.
- If reported, your car will be towed!
- Make arrangements for off-street parking when you leave for breaks!
- Penalty: Misdemeanor and fines up to $50.00 per violation
SOCIAL HOST ORDINANCE (Missoula Municipal Code 9.58.010-040)
- When one hosting a gathering knowingly or purposely facilitates or encourages minor persons in consuming an alcoholic beverage on a premises within the City and fails to take reasonable steps to prevent the consumption by minor persons.
- The social host does not have to be present or on the premises at the time the prohibited act occurs.
- Penalty: $100.00 fine and court costs for first offense. A minimum of $500.00 fine plus court costs for second offense.
DOGS AT LARGE (Missoula City Ordinance 6.07.600)
- It is unlawful for the owner, custodian, or keeper of any dog to knowingly, purposely, or by neglect allow such dog to be at large.
- Penalty: First offense is $25 plus court costs
ANIMAL WASTE (Missoula City Ordinance 6.07.430)
- The owner or custodian of an animal is responsible for the immediate removal of any excreta deposited by his animal on any public walk, part, boulevard, recreation area or other public right-of-way, or any private property outside the owner’s or custodian’s own property.
- The owner or custodian of an animal is responsible for the removal of excreta in a kennel and on the owner’s or custodian’s property.
- Penalty: first offense is $25 plus court costs