Run for Senate!
A potential candidate must fill out an ASUM elections candidate registration form available at the ASUM Office, UC 104. Potential candidates for President must run with a potential candidate for Vice President as a single ticket, with a joint petition. Petitions are available at UC 104 and must consist of the signatures, printed names, ID numbers and telephone numbers of at least 100 ASUM activity fee-paying students ONLY (those taking 7 or more credits). Candidates for Business Manager must collect 50 signatures. Those not meeting the fee requirement or any entries that are incomplete or illegible will not be counted. It is advised that you obtain more than the necessary signatures to ensure you have the required number.
Candidates are also asked to submit several electronic forms prior to running for office. These include the Kaimin Questionnaire and a picture. Please submit these to Caleb Chestnut, ASUM Elections Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org by April 5th.
- ASUM Elections Bylaws **You must read this!**
- Deadlines and dates found are on the General Election Schedule
- You must Register to become an official candidate.
- Candidate Income/Expense Statement Tells what you may spend and records what you do spend
- The Kaimin Questionnaire is published in the Montana Kaimin and let's students know your involvement, experience, and policy ideas.
- A short list of Senate responsibilities and opportunities
Throughout the academic year, a seat on the ASUM Senate may become available. To apply for an open seat, simply fill out the Senate Seat Application Form. After the applications are closed, the ASUM Interview Committee will meet to review candidates, and may request to interview applicants at their discretion. The Interview Committee will make its recommendation to the ASUM President, who will appoint the new Senator(s) during an ASUM Senate Meeting.