Report Bear Sightings
First Ravalli County Bear Sighting of 2022:
April 2022: We have already had a report of a black bear into a bird feeder near the Teller Wildlife Refuge. The early warm spell got bears up, moving around, and looking for food. It is time to take down bird feeders, secure your garbage and store animal feed in a sturdy building. Let's work together as a community to keep our wildlife wild.
Please report any bear sightings in Ravalli County - complete the Bitterroot Bear Sightings Survey
We report new bear sightings in the spring and late bear sightings in the fall. Our reports rely on your sightings. Let us know what you see! We rely on you!
- Our reports don’t reflect all bears. We cannot guarantee that bears are not out and about earlier than the first report or later than the last report.
- Bears are usually active by March 15 but they can emerge from their dens earlier or later.
- Bears usually den by mid-December, but it is weather dependent. If warm temperatures persist, bears can be out in late winter and early spring.
ALWAYS BE BEAR AWARE!
Bear Aware Organizations
Information about and grants for bear resistant infrastructure and loss prevention
- Defenders Electric Fencing Incentive Program
- Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee: Be Bear Aware
- Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee: Education Grant
- Montana Livestock Loss Board
- For loss prevention grants (range riders, carcass compost, etc.)
- People and Carnivores
- Vital Ground
Bear Monitoring by Local Students
Students with Corvallis High School are monitoring bear sightings in Ravalli County for a bear biology and social interactions project in their Classroom Without Walls program. Students are collecting and monitoring bear sightings to track where bears are in our neighborhoods and what is attracting them to our homes, parks, and communities. Please help our students by reporting any bear sightings or sign of bear activity you encounter in your area. Thank you for helping with this student project!
You may also see Hamilton, Stevensville, and Victor students out investigating bear sightings and conflicts. Please, say, “Hello,” and ask them about their work.
Learn more! Bear aware: Bitterroot students help keep tabs on problem bears, Perry Backus, Ravalli Republic, November 7, 2021.
- Wildlife Management Specialist
MT Fish, Wildlife, & Parks
- Hamilton - Shared & South
Louis Royce II
- Hamilton - North
Follow us on Facebook
Bears in the news, spring sightings, bear aware events, and more!