Capital Assets Disposals

Surplus Property Disposal - Capital Assets


Once an asset has reached the end of its useful life or has become non-functional, the asset may be sent through surplus property. To send something to surplus, you must fill out a Declaration of Surplus – Capital Assets form: ( The form must be filled out with as much information as you can provide.  UM tag and Serial number fields are most important to fill out, as those numbers will make sure assets can be removed from inventory lists.

Once the form has been submitted, you and the Asset Manager (AM) will receive an email with everything that was entered. Please review for any corrections that need to be made. The AM will then submit a work order for the equipment. Please make sure to include an index code as the work order system requires accounting information to complete.




For questions or concerns on surplus property acquisition, sales or accessibility, please contact:

Chris Newlon
Facilities Services – Maintenance
(406) 243-5200

For questions or concerns regarding electronics recycling, please contact:

Derek Kanwischer
Industry Materials Coordinator


For questions or concerns on capital assets/equipment, inventories, and surplus property disposal/transfers, please contact:

Patrick Fagan
Capital Asset Accountant
Business Services
(406) 243-5742


Tara Scott
Financial Manager
Business Services