Transfer Students

Transfer Student Information

Now that you’ve made the decision to come to the University of Montana, and to attend the College of Business (COB), there are a series of steps you should follow as a Transfer Student.  Admissions has an excellent website that outlines the transfer student process, but below is a series of procedures specific to COB.  All you have to do is send us an email at, requesting a list of courses you should be taking for you first semester, and we will get the ball rolling!

  • After you have applied to the University of Montana (UM), your transfer credits will be evaluated by the UM Admissions department and posted on your UM transcripts.  While this process is happening, you can also have the Business Student Success Center take a look at your transfer work by following these steps:
    • Send the COB Advisors an email requesting a list of recommended classes for your first semester.  In this email you should include your UM student ID number (beginning with 790), and attach a PDF of your unofficial transcript(s) from your previous university(s).  This will allow us to take a look at your transfer work.  Some of your classes will come to UM as direct equivalents (ex. taking a macroeconomics course at another university may post on your UM transcripts as ECNS 202S) or if there is not a direct equivalent at UM, the class may come across as elective credit (ex. Lower-Division Elective). 
    • Submitting your unofficial transcripts to the COB Advising office allows us to evaluate any credits that have transferred to UM as just elective credits.  It will be up to the COB Advising office to evaluate this elective credit, and to decide if it can fulfill any of your Business Major requirements.  During this process make sure to check your @umontana email account daily (you can log into your student email by clicking here), as we may need to send you an email requesting a syllabi for one of your transfer courses.  Syllabi can make it easier to properly evaluate your transfer work.
    • After your transfer work has been evaluated by the COB Advising office, we can email you a list of courses you should be enrolling in for your first semester at UM, along with the Advising Pin that will allow you to enroll in those courses.
    • After you have seen your proposed schedule, if you have any questions, or feel that you have already taken a course we have listed in your proposed schedule, just email us back and we will answer your questions.  Also, anytime you are in Missoula feel free to stop by our office.  We are located in GBB L35, and are open Monday through Thursday, all year long (except holidays), from 8:30 AM to 3:30 PM.
    • Transfer Credit Disclaimers;
      • Even direct equivalent courses may not be allowed to fulfill Business Major requirements if they are not approved by the College of Business.  Transfer courses are evaluated by the faculty of COB for content and rigor.  A common reason for a direct equivalent course being denied may be an accreditation issue with your transfer university.
      • The College of Business will ultimately make the decision on whether a course that posts on your UM transcripts as elective credit will fulfill a business requirement.  Remember, just because your transfer course has the same name as a course here at UM, that doesn't necessarily make it a direct equivalent.
      • For a transfer course to be considered as an equivalent of a UM Business course, it must have been taken for a traditional letter grade (no "CR" grades will be accepted), and you must have passed it with a “C-“ or better.
      • We can only equate transfer work to Business courses.  We are not able to equate your transfer work, for instance, to any of your General Education requirements.  However, we can help facilitate the process of equating the following COB Primary and Secondary Lower Core courses that are outside the Business College. These courses include:
        1. An approved Math course - M 115 (Probability & Linear Math) or M 121 (College Algebra) or M 151 (Pre-Calculus) or M 162 (Applied Calculus)
        2. An approved Statistics course - STAT 216 (Intro to Statistics) or SOCI 202 (Social Statistics) or PSYX 222 (Psychology Statistics) or FORS 201 (Forest Biometrics)
        3. COMX 111A – Intro to Public Speaking
        4. ECNS 201S – Principles of Microeconomics
        5. ECNS 202S – Principles of Macroeconomics
        6. WRIT 101 – College Writing I