Event Planning Checklist
Suggested timeline for events associated with the University of Montana.
6-8 weeks prior to event
Large annual or special events can book rooms in the UC well in advance. You do not need to wait until the semester or year starts to reserve space for a special event.
5-6 weeks prior to event
- Create marketing materials for posters, social media, and UM Event Calendar.
- Submit venue layout information to UM Conference and Event Services (any audiovisual, building equipment, specialty lighting, and possible decorations.)
- Decide on ticket process and registration.
4-5 weeks prior to event
- Make catering arrangements with UM Catering.
- Purchase or make decorations.
- Reserve hotel rooms or contact our office to make resident hall accommodations during the Summer.
- Recruit volunteers. Need help? Try the UM Experiential Learning Office.
- Hire security, if needed, through the UM Police (UM Conference and Event Services can help with this).
3-4 weeks prior to event
- Ensure social media is created and create an event in the UM Event Calendar.
- Make transportation arrangements, our office can help with this as well.
- Send publicity information to people on campus (UM Relations, faculty, RA’s, etc. ).
- Distribute posters in allowed areas around campus.
- Perform a mid-point budget check.
Final 14 days prior to event
- Push social media and add to UM Events Calendar online with the appropriate tag. For example, @universitycenter tag for events in the University Center.
- Develop event agenda/timeline to share with group and service providers.
- Confirm performance details with agent/entertainment.
- Confirm all travel arrangements.
- Remind volunteers of event duties close to the event.
- Prepare gift bags.
- Confirm itinerary with any speakers/guests (3 days before).
- Double-check event set-up and catering information and make any needed changes (72 business hours in advance).
Note: This checklist is based on how to plan an event effectively. For any additional support, please contact Conference and Event Services at (406) 243-4119. Our website contains a plethora of helpful information for groups looking to have their event on campus and is a great starting point, please view our Policy and Procedures page for more information!