July 30, 2020: Student updates on UM housing, dining and more
We are working hard to get campus ready for the start of fall semester! As promised, here is information about housing, dining and Healthy Griz Kits.
We are gearing up for a unique year in UM Housing due to the realities of COVID-19. Whether you live on or off campus, each of us has a role to play in ensuring the health and safety of our community. We need each of you to take seriously your responsibility to help protect yourself and others to ensure we can have a fun and memorable year.
In the residence halls, resident assistants are preparing a series of in-person and online events and community-building activities. RAs are here to support you, assist you when you need help, champion your academic success, and create connection and community on your floor. Here’s how you can help:
- Wear a mask whenever you’re not in your room.
- Maintain physical distance from others when possible and actively limit your exposure to large groups of people.
- Honor the no guests or visitors policy to protect your floor.
- If you feel sick, avoid contact with others and contact the Curry Health Center.
Move-in begins Aug. 12 and lasts through Aug. 19. New students should arrive on campus no later than Sunday, Aug. 16. If you haven’t already done so, please log in to your MyHousingPortal and schedule your move-in time.
Remember, residents are restricted to two guests to help them move in. If your plans have changed and you will not be living on campus, please remember the cancellation deadline is Aug. 1.
How Campus Dining Will Feed You This Fall
Campus Dining will open operations with several changes in place to provide safe and healthy food services to the campus community. Please note the following:
- Masks are required in all Campus Dining operations. Please wear them in all dining areas. Obviously, you will need to take them off to eat, but please put them back on whenever you get up from your table.
- The Food Zoo has expanded meal times to give you more time to eat between classes and reduce crowding at peak meal times.
- The All Campus Meal Plan will be accepted this fall at the UC Market to help spread out students during peak meal times.
- Campus Dining recommends you explore smaller operations like Biz Buzz in the Gallagher Business Building and the Heart and Soul Café in Eck Hall when you are ready for lunch. This will help you avoid more crowded operations like the Food Zoo, Food Court and Market during peak meal times.
- We are regularly cleaning and sanitizing dining areas.
- Signs and reminders to wear masks and maintain physical distance are posted.
- There is sit-down dining in the Food Zoo and UC Food Court area, but the number of seats and tables have been reduced to provide physical distancing space in compliance with Missoula City-County Health Department regulations.
- Campus Dining is the largest student employer on campus. We are still hiring for fall semester.
- Campus Dining is offering a new Destination Meal plan for students living off campus.
Get Your Healthy Griz Kit
- Each UM student will receive one Healthy Griz Kit that includes two reusable and washable face coverings, a refillable hand sanitizer bottle, a refillable disinfecting spray bottle and a microfiber cleaning cloth.
- New students will receive their Healthy Griz Kits at New Student Orientation.
- Returning students may pick up their Healthy Griz Kits at various stations around campus.
- You will need to swipe your Griz Card in order to get your kit.
We look forward to seeing you soon! Please continue sending your questions and comments to email@example.com. Please visit UM’s Coronavirus information website for information on plans for fall 2020. Our next update will cover student support services, student engagement and athletics.
Sarah Swager, UM Vice Provost for Student Success