Student Supports for Online and Remote Learning
Supports are available for many facets of student life: academic, staying connected, and personal well-being. The following are resources, strategies, and links for students. Keep on Learning provides strategies for supporting students for online and remote learning and the Student Resources tab at the Moodle home page provides links to updated resources as well.
- Moodle 101 for Students: A self-enrollable, technical step-by-step tutorial on how to use Moodle as a student.
- Strategies for Online Students: A self-enrollable, self-paced tutorial for students to help them identify their preferred learning styles and learn strategies for being a successful online student.
- Pay attention to communications
- Keep up on coursework
- Avoid distractions
- Maintain a normal daily routine
- Ensure your tools are working
- Identify plans ahead of time
- Have a backup plan
- Use Navigate for Students to help manage your class schedule
- Use a phone app that can be used for planning and managing time or download the simple weekly planner found in the Learning Strategies module of Strategies for Online Students tutorial to help you get organized.
- Advising Center and Tutoring Resources: Schedule advising or tutoring appointments, available online or by phone. Tutoring available for math, writing, public speaking, Study Jam groups, and TRiO services.
- Disability Services for Students: Ensures students receive appropriate accommodations, services, and assistance to fully access the campus programs and facilities.
- Writing and Public Speaking Center: Provides help at any point with writing, presentation, and research projects. Online and in-person appointments available.
- Office for Student Success (OSS): Helps students to meet three goals: transition smoothly to college, remain enrolled and progress in a program of study, and graduate in a timely manner.
Tools and Spaces:
- Tools for online and remote learning include: Moodle, Zoom, UM mobile app, Navigate app, Cyberbear, and UMBox. Find specific information about these tools at Keep on Learning - Tools.
- Remote Learning Spaces: Available across campus with WiFi connectivity. Students are expected to use headphones and not disturb other students while using remote learning spaces on campus.
- Computer labs: Check availability of computer stations and labs across campus.
- Mansfield Library has computers available for student use during their open hours:
- Contact the IT Help Desk at 406-243-HELP for help with UMBox and Zoom. Hours are 8AM-5PM, M-F.
- Contact the UMOnline Help Desk at 406-243-4999 or 866-225-1641 (toll-free) if you need assistance with Moodle Hours are 8AM-5PM, M-F.
Communication and Staying Connected:
- University of Montana app: Download to stay connected! There is an updated virtual events and activities tab to keep you connected to your fellow Grizzlies. It is available for download on the iPhone App Store or Google Play.
- Join UM-alerts: Subscribe by texting "Join UM-alerts" to 30890. Signing up for these alerts will inform participants, via direct text message, of immediate safety and health notices. The University of Montana's Emergency notification systemwill also transmit an email with emergency information to all 'umontana' e-mail addresses.
- Look for the UM Student Weekly Events every Monday in your UM email.
- Stay informed with UM Events and UMNews.
- Get involved! Follow the Student Involvement website for virtual events.
Personal Wellness Supports:
- Curry Health Center: Provides quality, affordable, accessible health care for students.
- Call (406) 243-2122 to schedule a tele-health appointment with medical or counseling
- Be Well Resource
- Wellness at Home
- Stress Busting Kit
- What to do if I think I have been exposed to COVID-19? (scroll down the page)
- Campus Rec: Keep up with your fitness workouts! Check out the Campus Rec website for modified hours and classes available.
- University of Montana Emergency Student Support Fund: Established to help enrolled students with unexpected crisis or hardship created by COVID-19.
- UM Food Pantry: Currently providing free meal kits and hygiene products for students, staff, faculty, and community members.