Student Information

Campus services are now being offered remotely, online and over the phone. All summer session classes are being offered online or remotely.

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid Office, with guidance from the U.S. Department of Education, is working to address questions and concerns of UM students who are impacted by the recent developments from the voronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. The Financial Aid Office appreciates your understanding during this time, and will do our very best to assist you. In order to answer some of the most frequently asked questions we have created this COVID-19 FAQ.

This information will be updated regularly as it becomes available to inform our students, faculty, staff and larger community regarding any possible financial aid implications related to COVID-19.   

Emergency Student Support Fund

The UM Emergency Student Support Fund has been established to help enrolled students with unexpected crisis or hardship created by COVID-19. Whether you need to pay rent, repair your car, cannot afford necessary prescriptions, cannot afford course materials or are unable to pay for an emergency medical procedure as a result of COVID-19, the fund is designated to help alleviate short-term financial need. Funds cannot be used to pay existing debts to the University. 

Funds are made available through the generous donations of family, friends and alumni of the University of Montana. The funds are intended to provide financial assistance to current UM students only. Learn more and apply on the Emergency Student Support Fund page. 

UFA Faculty and Students Together (FAST) Fund

The University Faculty Association at the University of Montana has launched a new fund to aid students struggling with emergency expenses. The UFA website provides more information for students, an application for the funds, and information for current and former faculty members to contribute to this fund. 

We are awaiting further guidance from the University and U.S. Department of Education and will update these items as we obtain the information – Last update 3/23/20

In general, students must continue to maintain minimum program enrollment requirements (online or in person) to receive aid. 

  • Current Pell Grantand SEOG awards should not be affected
  • Current Federal Direct Loan awards should not be affected 
    • Coronavirus and Loan Forbearance Information for student and parent borrowers.

      To provide relief to student loan borrowers during the COVID-19 national emergency, the US Department of Education has made an administrative forbearance option available to federal student loan borrowers, which allows you to temporarily stop making your monthly loan payment. Read more about these options in the borrower Q&As  to learn more, and contact your loan servicer to find out your specific options.

  • Federal work study (see section below)

Federal Work Study —  The Federal regulations and State of Montana decisions include provisions for Work Study funding based on the current status of the University, and assumes the student is still enrolled in at least 6 credits for spring 2020. Work Study supervisors should contact Ellen Smith,,with any additional questions.

Notice for employers whose student workers are NOT being paid through Work Study funding:

  • The Financial Aid office is in the process of awarding all students who are eligible for work study but are not currently being paid through work study. This will enable as many students as possible to continue being paid, even if they are unable to work for reasons related to COVID-19.
  • We will communicate with employers and/or employees as we proceed. We will cover a maximum of the last 4 payrolls of the 2020 year (March 14-May 8). We may not be able to cover all of their scheduled hours through work study, but our goal is to help students receive as much compensation through work study as they are eligible for, reducing the negative financial impact for these students.
  • We are working non-stop on this project, please be patient, checking this link for updates throughout the day. 

Guidelines for Work Study Employers:

  • If your department/ organization is able to provide the same or similar job duties for the student Work Study employee – either on-site or remotely:
    • The student employee can continue to work and earn Work Study wages through the end of the semester. 
    • Work Study students may work remotely. If your Work Study student employees can complete their duties remotely, please update their job description in your records to reflect work that can be accomplished off-site (the financial aid office does not need a new hire form with these changes reflected).
    • Student employees and their supervisors are encouraged to maintain proactive lines of communication, including discussions pertaining to work schedules and expectations. As always, supervisors must oversee the work of any Work Study recipient and submit timesheets in a timely fashion by required deadlines.  
  • If your department/ organization is unable to provide the same or similar job duties for the student
    • If the office/site is closed as a result of the Coronavirus, and the duties cannot be moved remotely (for example, custodial work), the student is considered “unable” to work. 
    • If the office/site is not closed as a result of the Coronavirus, and the duties cannot be moved remotely (for example, custodial work), but the student:
      • has left campus as encouraged by the UM administration
      • is quarantined due to COVID-19
      • is caring for a family member diagnosed with COVID-19
      • is caring for children who are not in school/daycare due to COVID-19 related closures
    • In each of the above cases the student is considered “unable” to work and can be paid through the end of the semester based on the amount of hours they were scheduled to have worked each week.  
  • If your department/ organization:
    • Can provide the same or similar job duties for the student on-site and your department has been deemed essential and the student chooses to remain in Missoula but does not wish to continue working, they forfeit the remaining unearned portion of their Work Study award for the 2019-2020 year. Students should not be required to come to campus unless they work for a department that has been deemed as essential.
    • Can provide the same or similar job duties for the student remotely, and the student is equipped to work remotely but the student does not wish to continue working, they forfeit the remaining unearned portion of their Work Study award for the 2019-2020 year.
    • These are the only two scenarios in which the student is not eligible for compensation for scheduled hours not worked.
  • As an on-campus employer, how do I report hours for a student who has worked vs. those who were unable to work?
    • Please continue to use Griz Time Online (GTO) to record employee hours. 
    • If a student has a permanent shift schedule, please use that to enter their hours in GTO. After entering hours in GTO, please download the payroll information as an excel and make a note next to each student who is being paid for hours not worked due to COVID. Instructions for this reporting protocal can be found here:  Work Study COVID Reporting Instructions.Then email that excel to with the email subject line "WS hours re COVID."
    • If a student's shifts change regularly, please contact Ellen Smith in the financial aid office for guidance. (
    • How do I report hours for a student who has worked vs. those who were unable to work? Please use this time sheet to report hours for all of your students, whether they were able to work the hours or not. Be sure to review the scenarios above to determine if your student employee is eligible to be paid for hours scheduled but not worked (note: most students are eligible)
    • For the purposes of "signing" these time sheets:
      • Student Signature: please have students sign their paper time sheet and keep in your records, or obtain an email from the student's UM Student Email where the student confirms the hours are accurate.
      • Supervisor Signature: The final email with the Financial Aid provided excel time sheet should include your (the supervisor's) approval of the hours and and be sent from your work email to with the subject "OFF CAMPUS WS hours re COVID."
    • If a student's shifts change regularly, please contact Ellen Smith in the financial aid office for guidance. (
    • We are exploring several options, but at this time, employers will still be responsible for their share of the students wages. We will update this if anything changes.
    • Students cannot earn more than their Work Study award for the aid year. If you are not sure of the student’s balance, please email their name and 790 number to Ellen Smith (


  • Work Study students should continue to report to their job locations (on or off campus) for as long as the location remains open. The expectation for externships, internships and clinicals is that unless due to closure, you should show up to those engagements.

Please confirm with your supervisor. 

  • If your department is able to provide the same or similar job duties for you – either on campus or remotely:
    • You can continue to work and earn Work Study wages through the end of the Spring 2020 semester. Students cannot earn more than their Work Study award for the aid year. 
    • Work Study students may work remotely. Your job description should reflect work that can be accomplished off-campus. Please speak with your supervisor for further details.
    • As always, supervisors must oversee the work of any Work Study recipient and submit timesheets in a timely fashion by required deadlines.  
    • You can choose to go home and not work, even if the department IS able to provide the same or similar job duties for the student (on campus or remotely) but by doing so you forfeit their remaining unearned Work Study award. 
  • If your office is closed and you cannot report to work     OR
  • If your department is unable to provide the same or similar job duties for the student:
    • You will be paid your regular scheduled hours through the end of the Spring 2020 term, up to the amount of original award. We will provide a format for supervisors to report the hours the student was scheduled for through the end of the semester.
  • How will this affect Summer Work Study options?
    • We do not yet have information on whether Work Study will be an option this summer. We know how difficult this uncertainty is and how important your financial security is.  We are working around the clock to get you answers and will be updating this page throughout the day.

Based on guidance received by OCHE and the University, at this time, MUS financial aid programs for the Spring 2020 term should not be substantially affected by the Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. In general, students must continue to maintain minimum program enrollment requirements to receive the various state aid programs they were awarded.

Q: Are there any implications to my federal aid if I go home?  

A: Students who plan to continue their enrollment (online) for spring 2020 will not be affected regardless of where they live.  This applies to Federal Pell Grants, SEOG, and Direct Loans.  See section above related to Federal Work Study, if applicable.  


Q: Are on-campus students receiving a refund if they choose not to stay in their room?

A: The University of Montana is following the Montana University System’s (MUS) lead on these issues:

  • We have confirmed that the MUS refund approval is for students in standard residence halls and the board/dining associated with those halls only.  Lewis and Clark and other UM apartment residents have leases and those remain in effect.
  • We strongly encourage you, for your health and safety and that of our entire campus community, to make plans to move out of our residence halls as soon as possible. As quickly as COVID-19 is spreading throughout the U.S., we want to ensure that our students are as far out of harm’s way as possible and leaving a communal living situation will do just that. And while we are strongly encouraging you to leave, no one will be evicted from our halls. We will find suitable accommodations.
  • If your circumstances are such that our residence halls are your only option, please contact UM Housing immediately, at 406.243.2611They will work with you on your individual situation. We will not evict anyone from the residence halls.
  • For residence hall students to request a refund, please click here to tell us your plans for the remainder of the semester. The survey will begin the refund process automatically.  Important: if students remain in the residence halls, their refund will not be triggered right away.  Some students may be here for another week or so and their refund will process at the time they check out of the halls.

We at UM request your patience as we work through the many unprecedented needs and questions our campus must address. Please be assured that we recognize the financial impacts of COVID-19 on our students and their families and will provide more information as soon as possible. For more information regarding refunds for housing expenses please contact UM Housing at 406.243-2611.

UM scholarships already awarded for the Spring 2020 term will not be affected.

  • While some UM Scholarship programs, like the Montana Academic Achievement (MAA), Leadership Achievement (LAS) and Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), are typically not available to students who are categorized as online-only, those students whose courses were transitioned to online due to COVID-19 measures put in place by UM will be exempt from this requirement for the spring 2020 term. Future semesters (Fall 2020 forward) will require the student to ‘return’ to on-campus learning modalities in order to receive these fund types.

Q: Will my spring 2020 athletic aid (NCAA) be impacted?

A: If you have questions regarding the potential impacts to your athletic aid due to changes that occur in response to COVID-19, please contact Jean Gee at

Q: What is the impact, if any, to GI Bill recipients when their schools are either closed or has directed their students to take classes online as a result of precautions taken due to COVID-19?

A: If you have questions regarding the potential impacts to veterans education benefits due to changes that occur in response to COVID-19, please contact Daryl Lee at

Q: Will my spring 2020 external (outside UM) funding be impacted?

A: If you have questions regarding the potential impacts to your external funding (i.e. vocational rehabilitation, outside scholarships, etc.) due to changes that occur in response to COVID-19, we recommend contacting that awarding-agency with those questions.


Financial Aid Impacts for changes to my enrollment:

Q: Am I eligible for financial aid for remote (online) learning?

A: Yes, you are eligible for federal, state and UM financial aid while you are enrolled in remote learning. You must still be enrolled for the required number of units (half-time or full-time, etc.) to be eligible.

Q: Am I eligible for financial aid if I decide to withdraw or can’t complete my spring 2020 classes?

A: Please contact the withdrawal coordinator ( before making modifications to your class schedule so we can assist you in making the most beneficial and informed decisions for your individual situation. 

If you are planning to officially withdraw from all of your Spring 2020 courses, please consult with your academic advisor and a withdrawal coordinator before doing so. Withdrawing from all courses can negatively affect the current Spring 2020 aid as well as future term aid eligibility. To contact the withdrawal coordinator, please email:

Students unable to complete the term due to direct impact by coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak may be advised to file for an appeal. This typically would occur if their academic progress was negatively impacted to an extent that it resulted in their not being able to meet the requirements of receiving various financial aid funding in future terms. Documentation will be requested. If you believe you may fall into this category please contact our office for more information.

Q: What if I have extra expenses caused by COVID-19?

A: If you need additional funding to purchase your flight home, or other COVID-19 related expenses, federal regulations permit us to increase your cost of attendance to allow for this additional educational expense. Typically for domestic students this increased COA is covered by an offer of either a federal subsidized/unsubsidized student loan or a parent PLUS loan depending on your remaining federal eligibility. If you would like to request a budget adjustment, please contact us from your UM student email at to request the budget adjustment.

Q: What if my parent(s) are financially impacted by illness, work closure or other COVID-19 related financial hardships?

A: The U.S. Department of Education allows the Financial Aid Office to reassess your family’s ability to contribute to your educational expenses if their income has been impacted as a result of illness. Please contact our office from your UM student email at to inquire about this process.


Q: Can I still contact the Financial Aid Office?

A: Yes! We are still here. Our phone number is: 406-243-5373 and our email is: If you are a student, please email from your UM student email. You can also Request a Zoom Appointment.

Q: Can I talk to a counselor one-on-one?

A: Yes! Our counselors will continue to be available for appointments which can be scheduled via Zoom or over the phone. Please call or email our office to request an appointment. When requesting your appointment please provide a brief summary of what your questions are regarding, so that we can ensure we schedule your appointment with the appropriate program specialist.

Q: Your office has requested I complete a form to complete my financial aid file. How can I get it to you?

A: Forms can always be submitted via your UM student email to faid@mso.umt.eduAfter ink signing the form, please scan or photograph the document and ensure it (and any required documentation) is formatted as a JPEG, PNG, or PDF file. If you decide to email documents as an attachment, we ask that you redact any sensitive information such as social security number or any other personal identifying information prior to scanning the attachment. 

You may also fax documents to 406-243-4930.

Q: Can I still get financial aid in the summer term?

A: Absolutely! We will continue to award and disburse financial aid as allowed by the Federal and Montana Departments of Education. As a reminder, most financial aid awards require at least half-time enrollment before dollars can disburse to student accounts.

Students interested in receiving summer aid need to submit the Summer 2020 Aid Application. Once completed the form can be faxed or emailed from your UM student email to the financial aid office.

Q: How will this affect Summer Work Study options?

A: We do not yet have information on whether Work Study will be an option this summer. We know how difficult this uncertainty is and how important your financial security is.  We are working around the clock to get you answers and will be updating this page throughout the day.

The Financial Aid Office and Global Engagement Office (GEO) are working closely based on daily updates on program cancellations. Once the Financial Aid Office receives official notification from the GEO we may need to adjust students’ financial aid packages. If this occurs you will be notified. As each financial aid package and student is different the impacts to financial aid, and your overall bill and aid eligibility may vary.

If the program has not yet started for the Spring 2020 Semester generally the aid package is canceled and notifications are sent.

If the program has started and the student is unable to complete the coursework remotely, the Student Accounts Office will complete the federal "Return to Title IV" calculation to see how much federal financial aid was earned based on the last date the student attended courses (This link provides information on the Return to Title IV calculation). The Student Accounts Office will send a notification if your financial aid and UM bill are updated.

Please allow up to 14 business days once the program is canceled to see the update to your financial aid package and billing statement

For questions about this process or your UM bill please contact withdrawal coordinator at:

Other UM updates related to COVID-19 are available at:

Information will be updated as it becomes available.

We highly recommend that you setup direct deposit to receive refunds, if you have not done so already. Further information can be found here.

Community Resource information 

We have attempted to put together a community resources list for students who may need additional help or financial relief in response to the changes to their academic or living situation that have occurred as a result of COVID-19 pandemic. Please note that the University of Montana does not endorse any private offerings, but recognize the need that our students may encounter:


For those who have no access or limited access to the internet, a recent Federal Communications Commission (FCC) agreement states that providers will waive late fees, not cut off service for lack of payment, and open hot-spots. Below is a list of internet offers from various companies. Note that this list may not be comprehensive, but it is the latest list we have compiled on campus. We recommend reaching out to these entities or others that you work with to determine if you might qualify for any of their relief or assistance programs.

AT&T: offers open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low-income families
Spectrum: offers free internet for 2 months
Comcast: offers free internet for 2 months to low-income families, plus all Xfinity hot-spots are free to the public during this time
Sprint: provides unlimited data to existing customers, and allows all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge
T-Mobile: unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot-spots for 60 days at no extra charge


The University has limited on-campus storage available. We ask that you work to make other arrangements to store your belongings, if necessary. If you need to discuss storage, please call UM Housing at (406) 243-2611. Students with items currently in storage should contact the relevant on-call phone. We will grant you access to your storage unit as quickly as possible.

In addition to on-campus storage, many private storage options exist. Here are 2 companies offering storage deals for students:

  • Eagle Self Storage in Missoula is offering one-month free storage rental of a 5x10 unit to the first 40-50 individuals. This offer is only for UM college students with valid ID. The special runs through April 30, 2020. Contact Eagle Self Storage at (406) 251-8600 or visit
  • U-Haul will extend 30 days of free self-storage at U-Haul-owned and -operated facilities to help college students impacted by unforeseen schedule changes at their universities. The free month applies to new customers with college IDs and is a limited-time offer subject to availability. The offer also applies to usage of U-Box containers. Click on to find the store nearest you.
Car Rentals

Companies like Budget, Enterprise, and Hertz are making it easier for students to get home to their families by reducing the age minimum and waiving the young renter fees for rentals.


Student Services

Several UM offices are offering their services remotely. Others have changed their operating hours and/or office visit protocal. Please review the summary of services below for details on remote services and other changes to UM student services.

UM's Information Technology services are available.

IT employees are available at 406-243-2002 or 406-243-4357 for immediate remote assistance between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. You may need to leave a voicemail, which we will work diligently to address as promptly as possible during business hours. (Note: Some return calls may come from non-UM numbers as we have a number of employees working remotely).

Please understand we have increased call volume and limited staff, so we encourage you to visit the appropriate sites if possible for information that may help address your issue:

Students – Keep on Learning

Faculty/Staff – Keep on Working

Instructors – Keep on Teaching

You may also submit a support ticket at for non-urgent issues.   

Some Campus Dining venues are operating under summer hours. Our dining team is making modifications to service to minimize risk to our community, and they will continue to adjust as the situation evolves. Visit the Campus Dining website for the latest hours of operation.

  • The UC Market is open from 7:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday-Friday.
  • The Food Zoo is closed for the summer.
  • Jus Chill'n in the UC is closed until further notice.
  • The Iron Griz is open from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. daily.
  • The Food Court in the UC, the Corner Store, Pizza Hut and all coffee shops are closed.

The Mansfield Library is committed to ensuring that the campus community stays remotely connected with library resources through robust online services. Find out more on this updates page. Laptops are now available for summer session checkouts: Reserve one today.

Montana Borrowers and all Griz Card holders can place holds on library books and media for contact-free curbside pickup. Library users will be notified by email or text when their materials are ready for pickup in front of the library. Most holds will be available 1-2 business days after the request is received. Learn how to place a hold at the Mansfield Library.

Need to set up a Montana Borrowers account? Community members who are 15 years or older can call the library at 406-243-4071 and ask to set up an account. A photo ID with current address information or a picture ID without a current Montana address and mail with current Montana address will need to be presented the first-time library material is picked up via curbside checkout.

UM alumni and retirees will need to present a photo ID when picking up library material.

Stay connected and find out more about library resources and services at Mansfield Library

Updated at 2:31 p.m. June 30, 2020.

The following labs are open for student use: 

  • Liberal Arts Room 139. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday
  • Gallagher Business Building Room 209.
    • 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday.
    • 8 a.m.-1:30 p.m.; 3:30-5 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday
    • 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Friday
The Mansfield Library has 20 computer stations available for use by appointment only. See computer station availability here. Appointments must be made 24 hours in advance.

Library also has a limited number of laptops available for checkout.

UMOnline is developing resources to assist faculty and students in continuing instruction remotely. Visit Keep on Learning for instruction, tools and support geared toward students.


The UM Office for Student Success is offering its services remotely. See the OSS website leads to access the OSS units that provide direct service to currently enrolled students, including:

  • Undergraduate Advising Center
  • Writing and Public Speaking Center
  • Financial Education Program
  • Study Jam Tutoring
  • TRIO Student Support Services

The OSS office in Lommasson 269 is closed. Students and other visitors may reach the office by emailing or calling 406-243-2800. 

Disability Services for Students is offering services remotely. Learn about DSS remote service online. Disability Service staff may be reached at 406-243-2243 and

AISS staff will provide remote service to students via email and Zoom. For assistance with Native American tuition waiver forms, tribal higher education forms, Curry Health and other questions, AISS will be happy to assist you.

Writing and math tutoring is available remotely. Visit the Writing and Public Speaking Center for writing tutoring. For math tutoring, email

 Please do not hesitate to call or email AISS with any concerns.

Phone: 406-243-6308, 406-243-6306

The Experiential Learning and Career Success office has moved to remote advising and services. For individual appointments, students will have the option to do Zoom or phone appointments. Please contact us at to discuss meetings and services. Please keep an eye on your email for Zoom webinars on topics like job search skills, resume tips, interviewing skills, etc.

At this time, professional and licensure testing for March and April has been canceled or postponed.  

The Student Advocacy and Resource Center is offering remote/telehealth services. We will not have staff in our physical office space on a regular basis, but will continue to offer services via phone, email, and/or video chat (Zoom) options during regular business hours (9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday) and after-hours support through our 24-hour support line 406-243-6559.

For scheduling services, contact the SARC main office at 406-243-4429. Students who have an upcoming in-person appointment scheduled in our office with a SARC advocate/clinician should call 406-243-4429 office to set up a telehealth appointment.

We will continue to offer “drop-in” services for both new and returning clients via telehealth options. Please call our 24-hour support line at 406-243-6559 to connect with a clinician for immediate support.

The VETS Office can be contacted by calling 406-243-2744 or emailing While the VETS office will have staff available, please first communicate via phone or email.

UDASH buses do not run during the summer. We are carefully planning for Fall 2020. UDASH will resume bus service in accordance with federal, state, local, and university guidance. Please check back for Fall 2020 bus schedules later this summer. See our COVID-19 update page for current transportation information.

The Math Learning Center is now open online to help students with their 100- and 200-level math courses. Options include live tutoring through Zoom or through our new “Dear Math Tutor” service. Details and schedules can be found on the Math Learning Center webpage

The University of Montana Bookstore will reopen Monday, July 13. Hours of operation will be Monday-Friday 10 a.m.-2 p.m. until the week before fall semester. Employees will be wearing cloth face coverings and customers are asked to wear masks as well.

The Bookstore continues to offer free access to eTextbooks through a partnership with VitalSource. Access eTextbooks through VitalSource here.

If you are not on campus or in Missoula and have rented textbooks that you will need to return, they can be shipped back to campus for free via UPS. The Bookstore offers easy step-by-step Rental Return instructions here.

The Griz Card office in the UC will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the doors will remain locked. Call 406-243-6943 for assistance with Griz Card matters.

While UM's international students have the option to remain on campus to complete their semester, many have received directives from their home countries and/or universities to return home as soon as possible.

Due to the COVID-19 global pandemic, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Department of State have temporarily suspended regulations preventing international students from participating in remote classes.

UM faculty members will work with international students in their classes to implement accommodations that will allow the student to complete their coursework remotely. For more information or assistance, email Caroline McLean, assistant director, International Students and Scholars at

The UC is open. Summer hours are: 

  • 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday
  • Closed Saturday-Sunday 

The following areas of the UC remain closed:

  • the entire third floor
  • the Game Room
  • the Food Court
  • the Commons

The Univeristy Center has created a hub for all virtual campus events and activities to help students have fun, pass the time, stay healthy and prepare for the future. Find awesome events and activities from all your favorite campus groups, including online fitness classes, Trivia Nights and more. All these events can be found on the UM App or on the “Keeping UM Connected” website.

Curry Health Center

Curry Health Center continues to evolve through this ever-changing health event to support a safe and healthy campus community. Please see the changes to services offered below. Continue checking our Curry Health Center web and social media for information and tips on staying safe and well. 

Curry Health Center also strongly urges you to:

  • Stay home when you are sick.
  • Wash your hands often.
  • Call your health care provider’s office in advance of a visit.
  • Practice social distancing. Limit your movements and activities to only those things that are necessary. Limit your visitors and avoid crowds.

Urgent medical care is available during our regular hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please call 406-243-2122 before coming in. COVID-19 testing is available if needed. The medical clinic is suspending nonurgent, routine health care such as physicals and check-ups.

We are asking that our patients and clients call CHC first before coming in. Our telephone number is 406-243-2122. Please listen carefully to the options and select the one the best meets your needs.

Curry is offering tele-medicine appointments for students who are in Missoula and those who have traveled back home. Medication refills are also available. Call 406-243-2122 to schedule a tele-health appointment.

Curry Health Center is able to complete prescription refills for students, even if they are no longer in the Missoula area. Students may call 406-243-2122 to have a prescription refilled at a pharmacy near them.

Urgent dental care will be available during regular hours. If you have an urgent dental need, please call first. Dental clinic is suspending nonurgent, routine health care such as teeth cleanings and routine exams.

Urgent counseling care will be available during regular business hours. If you have an urgent counseling need, please call first. Our counseling service is working to rearrange current, ongoing care through tele-counseling.

Student Wellness is suspending all outreach presentations and promotional gatherings. The Condom Corner is closed.

The Student Insurance Office will be actively working remotely.


As a University system, we waited for any good news that might mean we could host the spring 2020 Commencement ceremonies in person to celebrate this tremendous milestone together. However, on April 3, we shared the announcement from the Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education that there will not be a traditional spring Commencement at the University of Montana on May 9 in order to help slow the spread of COVID-19.

FAQs about Commencement

The Commissioner of the Higher Education announced April 3 that spring Commencement ceremonies at all schools within the Montana University System will not be held this year because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This includes all of UM’s in-person Commencement ceremonies scheduled for Saturday, May 9, 2020.

UM is determined to honor our graduates in a way that is meaningful and memorable. 

UM graduates who rented regalia from our vendor, Herff Jones, by the April 1 deadline have the option to receive a full refund or have their regalia shipped to them.

If you would prefer to receive a full refund of your order, please request your refund.

If you would like to have your cap and gown shipped for free directly to your home address, provide your shipping information and then be on the look out for your cap and gown. 

As a reminder, the gown you receive is a rental and must be returned to Herff Jones. There is no shipping cost to return your gown. Please follow the return instructions provided in the packaging. If you do not return your gown, you will be charged the full amount for a purchased gown and your diploma will be put on hold.

If you have questions about your regalia rental or shipping, contact Tim McClughen with Herff Jones at

Gradutes may purchase graduation accessories from UM's regalia vendor, Herff Jones. 

Visit the the Herff Jones retail website to purchase items.

Your diploma will be mailed to the address you provided on your graduation application. If that address is no longer where you want your diploma sent, you must email your graduation coordinator to update it. Updating your address via CyberBear will not change where your diploma gets mailed. To update your address or if you have additional questions about your graduation progress, please contact your graduation coordinator.

UM’s graduation coordinators are:

Kyle Brester at

  • College of the Arts and Media
  • College of Business
  • College of Health Professions and Biomedical Sciences
  • Phyllis J. Washington College of Education
  • W.A. Franke College of Forestry and Conservation

Ben Hamman at

  • Missoula College
  • College of Humanities and Sciences
  • Global Leadership Initiative

Please reach out to UM Commencement Event Coordinator Gina DiDomenico at 406-243-6318 or

Graduation and Commencement are two different actions. When a student graduates from the University of Montana, he or she has successfully completed an academic program or course of study. Graduation has not been postponed; that will still take place at the end of the course of study for all students who meet the requirements of their degree program. 

Commencement is the ceremony in which the conferral of degrees takes place. UM has postponed Commencement until a later date when it is safe to celebrate our spring 2020 graduates. 

Graduation fees paid by students at the beginning of their senior year are used to maintain the electronic degree audit system, as well as graduation evaluation and other activities related to graduation. That fee does not fund Commencement activities and there will be no refund of graduation fees. There is no student fee at UM to fund Commencement.

UM Housing Information Regarding Spring 2020

We strongly encourage students living on campus to make plans to move out of the UM residence halls as soon as possible. However, while we are strongly encouraging student to leave, no one will be evicted from our halls. We will find suitable accommodations for those who cannot travel home or do not feel safe doing so.

Thank you for your patience and flexibility in this unprecedented time. We care about the health and safety of our residents and staff and are working hard to support everyone as we respond to an evolving situation.

In order to maintain physical distancing and cleaning procedures in the residence halls, we asked students not returning to the residence halls who wish to come pick up their things at the end of March. We are communicating with anyone remaining in the halls to coordinate the move-out  process between now and the end of the semester.

To sign up for a checkout time during the week of March 20-28:

  • Log into your myHousingPortal (
  • Select the Spring 2020 Check Out Sign Up option from either the grey menu bar or the menu icon.
  • Select a time from the available slots in the calendar.
  • Once you select a time, confirmation will show on your screen and you will also receive a confirmation email with your timeslot details and checkout instructions.

Carts will be available in the lobbies for your use. Please follow any posted instructions and return carts to the same lobby when you are complete. Students do not need to interact with staff to check out. Simply get an express check-out envelope from outside your area desk, fill it out, put your mailbox key and access card (not Griz Card) in the envelope, and place it in the Express Checkout Drop Box on the office door.

Please practice physical distancing whenever possible during the move-out process. Do not congregate at the desk or in hallways. Also due to limited space in the hallways and rooms, please limit the number of people helping you move your belongings out to one person.

Refunds of room and board fees will be issued for the period from March 23 through the end of spring term. Students must complete a cancellation form to be eligible for the refund. Please allow until April 15 for reimbursement payment.

Please note we have limited storage available on campus and will work to make other arrangements. If you need to discuss storage, call 406-243-2611. Students with items currently in storage should call that number. We will grant you access to your storage unit as quickly as possible, but please be patient with our response time.

In addition to on campus storage, Eagle Self Storage in Missoula is offering one month free storage rental of a 5x10 unit to the first 40 to 50 individuals. This offer is only for UM college students with valid ID. The special starts now and runs until April 30. On May 1 normal rental prices will begin again. If you are interested, call Eagle Self Storage at 406-251-8600 or visit

While we strongly recommend students do not return to the residence halls, we do understand that is not realistic for some students, and we will do our best to support you. These are some of the operational adjustments you can expect. Further adjustments will likely be made when we know how many students will remain in the halls.  

Area coordinators and area desk administrators will still be working and available via phone or email. Area coordinators also are able to meet students via Zoom. Most resident assistants will still be engaging with residents, though they may not be present on every floor. Your area coordinator will update you on the staffing in your building.

Area Desks will be open from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on weekends. We only will provide services for packages and lockouts. Other services will not be provided, including checking out equipment, games and kitchen supplies. If you need assistance outside of these services, call the duty phone (follow this link for your Area Desk and Duty phone numbers) before visiting the desk as we are trying to limit the foot traffic at the desks. If you have maintenance issue work orders, those should be entered online through the myHousingPortal. If you have an emergency maintenance issue, call the duty phone.

Outside of these hours, staff will be able to respond to the duty phone for emergencies but we will not be able to issue packages. During this time, it is imperative that everyone take responsibility for their mailbox key and access card to lessen the number of lockouts. This is for the health and safety of you and of our staff.

IMPORTANT: If you develop fever, cough and/or difficulty breathing or have been in close contact with someone who has had a positive test for COVID-19, call Curry Health Center 406-243-4330 to discuss your illness and provide instructions on how to visit the clinic if your health care providers determine that is necessary. 

In addition to urgent care appointments, Curry Health Center is now providing telemedicine appointments for counseling, medical needs and wellness. Please call 406-243-2122 to set up an appointment that best fits your needs. Presciption refill services also are available by calling 406-243-2122.

If you are sick, do not knock on your RA’s door or visit the Area Desk. You should try to stay in your room and contact Curry for further instructions. Report all illnesses to UM Housing online.

All students are expected to follow the Student Conduct Code, and residential students must comply with the policies outlined in the Residence Hall Handbook. If a resident is causing a serious disruption or posing a risk to the health and safety of the residential learning environment, they may be asked to move out of the residential facilities immediately.  

The guest policy is being suspended during this time frame. Until further notice, residents may not have guests or visitors in their residential areas, including personal space and community spaces such as lounges. We are defining guests as any persons not approved to live in a specific building (i.e. students who live in one building may not visit another building). Further, we are encouraging residents to limit entering personal spaces of other approved residents and implement suggested practices of self-hygiene and social distancing in common spaces.

The Housing Office will be staffed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the doors will remain locked. We ask that you call 243-2611 or email before walking over to the office. We will allow people in if they cannot be assisted over the phone or by email. 

We encourage rent payments to be made by phone or by check. We will only take in person rent payments from 9 a.m. to noon.

Area desks will be staffed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. weekends. 

The office will be staffed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the doors remain locked. Residents are asked to call 406-243-3409 for assistance.

The office will be staffed from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the doors remain locked. Residents are being instructed to call the office at 406-243-6030 to get assistance.

The office will be open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the doors will remain locked. We ask that everyone call 243-6943 or email before they walk over to the office. We will allow people in if they cannot be assisted over the phone or by email.

Please call UM Police at 406-243-4000 or call 911.