The Curry Health Center will never refuse service to a student. However, we are not a Montana Medicaid Passport Provider. Medicaid will not pay for services provided by us. Nor will they reimburse students who pay for services on their own that are provided by us. Charges for services are billed to the student’s account and the student is solely responsible for payment. 

Montana Medicaid

Montana Medicaid clients who are enrolled in government coverage at the time of registration are not required to purchase the student health insurance plan. However, as a condition of keeping their medical assistance, they are required, per Medicaid, to apply for the Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP) program if they meet the criteria to do so. 

The HIPP program is a program through Medicaid that uses government funds to purchase additional healthcare coverage for its established clients when it’s deemed cost effective to do so. The concept is to give eligible clients extra coverage. Not take away the coverage they already have. Thereby, not only saving tax payers money, but providing dual coverage to the clients resulting in more doors opening for care.

PLEASE BE ADVISED: Failure to comply with a Medicaid directive could result in the cancellation of medical coverage for all adults in the household.*

To Apply for the Program you must be a current Montana Medicaid client. 

Application packets can be obtained from the student insurance office BEFORE the 15th class day by either:

  • Visiting the lobby of the Curry Health Center beginning the day semester bills are available.
  • Emailing your request for a packet from your official University of Montana email account, along with your 790#, to

Please, contact the HIPP program directly at 1-800-694-3084 or with any questions you have regarding the program. 

Medicaid Coverage from Outside of Montana

Per, Medicaid does not transfer from state to state. In order to bill Medicaid, the provider in the state where services are provided must still be contracted with the home state's Medicaid agency. Therefore, out-of-state Medicaid coverage does not meet insurance requirements.

Resources are available for assistance with obtaining affordable healthcare coverage, as well as applying for Montana Medicaid. Email your request for this information to Please, include your 790#. 

For questions or more information, please, contact the Student Insurance Advocate at 406-243-2844, or by email to Please include the 790# student ID number.