Interpreting services for university events
NOTE: This information is for departments or campus events; not courses or academic programs for which such services are required by Deaf and Hard of Hearing students registered with Disability Services.
Disability Services accepts sign language interpreting and captioning services requests for campus events sponsored by the university, colleges, or departments. These events include University address, guest lectures, recognition ceremonies, celebration, and conferences. Faculty, staff, and campus event organizers can request these services to ensure that their events are accessible for all participants including Deaf and Hard of Hearing individuals.
Interpreting Rates: $40 per hour, per interpreter. Two interpreters may be required for events with multiple speakers or that exceed one hour. If outside contractors are hired, hourly charges will vary.
Captionist Rates: Charges vary from $80 to $150 per hour depending on the format of the event. (Captioning provides voice-to-text access.)
Due to the limited availability of interpreters and captionists, Disability Services has set the following criteria to prioritize service requests for university events:
- Initial request date. Early requests are given higher priority. Although Disability Services will make every attempt to accept requests for interpreter or captioning services, there is no guarantee for any request submitted less than three (3) business days prior to the event.
- Promptness in providing necessary information. The information includes day and date of event, begin and end time, location, name of sponsor, name of contact person and phone number/e-mail address are all considered necessary information. In the event of a theatrical performance, a copy of the script must be provided at least three weeks in advance.
How to request services
Submit the following information to Denise May, Lead Sign Language Interpreter, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org:
- required services (e.g. an interpreter or a captionist)
- contact person of the event
- event name
- event date and time
- event location
- event description
- billing address
- To secure services, the request should be submitted as far in advance as possible; at least three (3) business days in advance of the requested date of service. Last minute requests cannot be guaranteed, through attempts will be made to secure interpreting/captioning services.
- The cost for interpreters and captioning services for university events, which are open to the public, is the responsibility of the hosting unit or entity.
- For off-campus events, travel expenses for the interpreters/captionists will be charged. The University of Montana travel guidelines and procedures are used to calculate these travel expenses.
- To cancel the services, notify Disability Services at least 24 business hours (Monday through Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.) in advance to avoid any charges.